looking for mechanical filtration ideas to replace filter socks.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
as the title says. i built my sump with the intentions of using filter socks as the mechanical filtration. but im already regretting my choice. has anyone modified a sock holder tray to hold a better form of mechanical filtration? i temporarily added an acrylic tray over top of the filter sock tray with polyfil on top. but im getting alot of channeling around the polyfil. any advice?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Poret foam is my favourite mech filter medium. I like 2 or 3 layers, with a coarser layer in front to act as a pre-filter that is easily removable and rinse-able; I like to do that very frequently, often daily, to remove as much organic debris as possible before it breaks down and adds to my nitrate load. If the top/first layer is kept spotlessly clean, the lower subsequent layers require much less cleaning. Poret is also terrific for sponge filters or Mattenfilters, where it functions as both mech and bio medium. In those applications, vacuuming the surface regularly keeps it cleaner longer.

I usually use a plastic bucket, perforated at the bottom and with a ring of holes all the way around near the top as well. Raise the lowest foam layer off the bottom of the bucket with some eggcrate plastic; stack up the foam layers on top; clean the uppermost layer as often as possible. The nice thing about this set-up is that if you are away for vacation or work or whatever, it can go for extended periods, probably weeks in some cases, without any channeling or bypassing of the media. As the foam slowly clogs, a head of water builds up above it and this pressure continues to force the water through the foam. Eventually, if you leave it long enough, the depth of the water increases until it finally begins to trickle through the ring of holes near the top, but as stated this can take considerable time.

Poret ain't cheap, compared to other foam media...but it is incredibly durable and lasts for many years, even with constant cleaning, squeezing and rinsing. When you trim it to fit your bucket or other mech medium compartment, the trimmings and extra little odd-shaped pieces can simply be thrown into the bio chamber and will add their surface area to that section.

Last edited:

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Poret foam is my favourite mech filter medium. I like 2 or 3 layers, with a coarser layer in front to act as a pre-filter that is easily removable and rinse-able; I like to do that very frequently, often daily, to remove as much organic debris as possible before it breaks down and adds to my nitrate load. If the top/first layer is kept spotlessly clean, the lower subsequent layers require much less cleaning. Poret is also terrific for sponge filters or Mattenfilters, where it functions as both mech and bio medium. In those applications, vacuuming the surface regularly keeps it cleaner longer.

I usually use a plastic bucket, perforated at the bottom and with a ring of holes all the way around near the top as well. Raise the lowest foam layer off the bottom of the bucket with some eggcrate plastic; stack up the foam layers on top; clean the uppermost layer as often as possible. The nice thing about this set-up is that if you are away for vacation or work or whatever, it can go for extended periods, probably weeks in some cases, without any channeling or bypassing of the media. As the foam slowly clogs, a head of water builds up above it and this pressure continues to force the water through the foam. Eventually, if you leave it long enough, the depth of the water increases until it finally begins to trickle through the ring of holes near the top, but as stated this can take considerable time.

Poret ain't cheap, compared to other foam media...but it is incredibly durable and lasts for many years, even with constant cleaning, squeezing and rinsing. When you trim it to fit your bucket or other mech medium compartment, the trimmings and extra little odd-shaped pieces can simply be thrown into the bio chamber and will add their surface area to that section.
great idea. my main issue that makes this somewhat difficult is space. when i built the sump i accounted for the socks. a timeout area for hurt fish a refugium and a pump/heater section. i will lose the holding cell for fish if i dont find a way to keep it contained to the first chamber. you can see in the pics i posted on the other thread for acrylic thickness for reference.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I saw those pics; it seems as though the sock chamber could be gutted and re-worked to work for foam. You won't have as much surface area as a purpose-built set-up, but it can still work, would simply clog somewhat more rapidly due to the decreased surface area. My ghetto-build DIY mech chamber is a round plastic bucket about 14 inches in diameter, and it can go weeks if necessary before it begins to bypass the medium, filtering a planted 360-gallon community tank. I'm taking advantage of the fact that my fish are outdoors now to re-work and improve a few aspects of this tank/filter; the pre-filter/mech filter part of the system works so well that I don't plan to touch it at all.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I also use Porrett Foam.
I cut it to fit the entire height and width of my 125 gal sump, and use that piece as the only divider in the sump, it cordons off the pump/bio-media area from the planted section.
IMG_8768.jpegIMG_8795.jpegIMG_8811.jpeg
As you can see, it is very sturdy. The shots above are from a few years ago when I first started using it.
Below a recent shot
IMG_5310.jpeg
When it needs cleaning, I just toss it on the ground and hose the crud out.

Reactions: JackEmerson

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
I saw those pics; it seems as though the sock chamber could be gutted and re-worked to work for foam. You won't have as much surface area as a purpose-built set-up, but it can still work, would simply clog somewhat more rapidly due to the decreased surface area. My ghetto-build DIY mech chamber is a round plastic bucket about 14 inches in diameter, and it can go weeks if necessary before it begins to bypass the medium, filtering a planted 360-gallon community tank. I'm taking advantage of the fact that my fish are outdoors now to re-work and improve a few aspects of this tank/filter; the pre-filter/mech filter part of the system works so well that I don't plan to touch it at all.
i wonder if i could get some acrylic cylinders 4" diameter and make tubes that i can place the porrett foam into. so i can retain the look and functionality of the rest of the sump.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
I also use Porrett Foam.
I cut it to fit the entire height and width of my 125 gal sump, and use that piece as the only divider in the sump, it cordons off the pump/bio-media area from the planted section.
View attachment 1519494View attachment 1519495View attachment 1519496
As you can see, it is very sturdy. The shots above are from a few years ago when I first started using it.
Below a recent shot
View attachment 1519497
When it needs cleaning, I just toss it on the ground and hose the crud out.
is there a specific micron of porrett foam you guys can recommend? unless i do some modifying i will be limited to a 5" x 22" x 1" tall surface to work with. would need to filter some pretty fine particulate.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Add me to the poret foam camp. I use it as separating walls in my sump. I got the coarsest one available

WP_20170310_013.jpg

WP_20150718_021.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store