Michigan
Price
Region
Midwest / Great Lakes
State
Michigan
Pickup or shipping
Shipping only
Why does everyone’s post say pick up only? Does anyone on this website know how to ship fish? I didn’t think it’s that hard to a fish in a bag with air and over night it.

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
Why does everyone’s post say pick up only? Does anyone on this website know how to ship fish? I didn’t think it’s that hard to a fish in a bag with air and over night it.
Talk is cheap! Have you ever shipped a monster fish? Have you ever even transported a monster fish? Have you ever had a monster fish?

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
It's the sellers choice to ship or not. Some people just don't have the time to pack a fish and have it shipped. Not to mention it's alot easier to have someone close pick up the fish or meet the seller in a place convenient for both.

stingraystables

Jack Dempsey
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2015
Estes Park, CO
Shipping is stressful on fish. Most are not willing to replace a lost fish or have the ability to replace it. I take the risk as a seller. I’ve had loses over the years but I’ve learned from each one. Another issue to consider is actually getting approved for a shipping account. There are many boxes to check to get approved.

Darryl Taylor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2019
Michigan
Thanks for the information. I barely find local people here so meeting up is hard. All the cool fish seem to be in California and know wants to ship. I don’t really seem to have a problem with fish website with shipping as far as stress goes. But I understand people can’t replace, I not expecting them to. It’s. Or like they are a company or anything

It’s not that common people have large aquariums or seeking large fish. So sellers need to be more welling to take risks is really what I’m trying to say.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Thanks for the information. I barely find local people here so meeting up is hard. All the cool fish seem to be in California and know wants to ship. I don’t really seem to have a problem with fish website with shipping as far as stress goes. But I understand people can’t replace, I not expecting them to. It’s. Or like they are a company or anything
While vendors are certainly allowed to post their wares in the Marketplace if they so desire, most choose to only post in their designated personal forum. This is their choice. Most non-commercial individuals who sell fish, particularly mature fish, don't want the bother or expense of shipping a large fish.

Back in 2012 or 2013 I sold a pair of young ATF. I offered shipping, but I expressly stated that there was no live guarantee, and that the buyer assumes all risk with the shipment. The fish died, and I refunded the buyer anyway. Decided it wasn't worth shipping at that point.

Most members who have been around long enough to have bought or sold a fish likely feel the same way.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It is not easy at all for a layman to ship a fish on a budget, even if not a large one, even if without the spines and teeth. It takes practice, much, much practice to get into the 90%-95% success rate. Meanwhile, one must eat the losses.

Take yourself as an example. Perhaps it is a typo, but it is not air the shipping bags are filled with. See, even the basics elude people, what to say about finer points of know-how to ship?

In an analogy - what's so hard about driving? You place in gear, steer the wheel, push at two pedals when needed, and watch the traffic in front of you. What's the big deal? Piece of cake! A half-wit can do it! But if you just get in and go, you are much more than likely bound to buy the nearest farm or kill someone and yourself.

Darryl Taylor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2019
Michigan
It is not easy at all for a layman to ship a fish on a budget, even if not a large one, even if without the spines and teeth. It takes practice, much, much practice to get into the 90%-95% success rate. Meanwhile, one must eat the losses.

Take yourself as an example. Perhaps it is a typo, but it is not air the shipping bags are filled with. See, even the basics elude people, what to say about finer points of know-how to ship?

In an analogy - what's so hard about driving? You place in gear, steer the wheel, push at two pedals when needed, and watch the traffic in front of you. What's the big deal? Piece of cake! A half-wit can do it! But if you just get in and go, you are much more than likely bound to buy the nearest farm or kill someone and yourself.
I would think people would discuss who going to take the lose. And when you buy things on Criaglist or second hand there alway a risk on item not being what you hoped or breaking down soon then you planned. O2 stables air stone and most lfs will help with filling with air for long travel.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Ive shipped small fish and corals. Its not that easy. I cant even imagine a 20+ inch fish. Even 12" would be a stupid task. I live in michigan. Get in your car and go to one of the really great shops within an hour or two of you and buy the fish you want. Most will order them if you cant find what you are looking for. What by the way are you looking for?

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store