Looking for some Apollo Shark information and talk

Chiroptera

Feeder Fish
Jul 27, 2012
United States
I've recently been looking to find Apollo Sharks to add to my 125g-300g peaceful 10-12" fish community, but there's a lot of confusion and back-and-forth facts with these gorgeous fish. This is pretty much the reason I joined this amazing fish community, because I've seen apollo owners on here and I think there's some really knowledgeable people that can help.

First: Apparently there's three fish commonly sold as Apollo sharks. One is said to be very aggressive, and will tear anything else silver in it's tank up, even it's own shoal-mates. This is the species most commonly listed as Apollo Shark, Luciosoma spilopleura.
A lot of sites will say that if kept in groups of 5 or 6, Luciosoma spilopleura will do fine. Some say otherwise. It's also said to be impossible to tell juveniles of the different species apart.
Is all this true?

Second: Where to get them? Liveaquaria has them listed, but ever since I've known the site it seems they haven't had any in stock, and when emailed, they said they couldn't guarantee the species of the shark in my order when they did come into stock.
AZGardens sells a 25-count of them, but that company is very, very bad, according to reviews and other research.
None ever show up on aquabid or similar sites, probably due to the hassle of getting them.
They're always wild-caught.
I'd rather not find an importer if there may be another way.

Third: They are a very active top-swimming fish. The fish I have as my mid and bottom swimmers can be timid or slow to eat. Will the apollos come down and eat any food before my catfish (Eclipse and 4-lined) and Knife (African Brown) can get to it? Is there a way of feeding my fish via a baster or tongs that may work better?

Any other info will be appreciated, as well! Thank you!
Note: The 125-300 is not set up currently. All the fish I have intended for that tank are about 3" and in a grow-out tank for the time being. I'd like to get smaller apollos for that reason, but since the large tank is being purchased in the next few weeks, mid-sized fish would be acceptable as long as they wouldn't bother my smaller catfish and knife.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I wasn't aware that there was more than one fish that carried the Apollo name.When ever they are in stock in this area it is always the same fish.....I have had a few in the past as they are one of my favorite community type fish.They remind me of little Arowana with their constant moving and the barbel looking appendages on their mouths.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
They are a seasonal fish. Brought in seasonally. Trinsfish has them as well. They are all separated by the striping and silver hue. Really hard to tell apart. They do best in groups or with other schooling fish. Had some and would take food from all levels of the tank. They should be able to take food before ur other fish. As far as temperament they are aggressive and nippy amongst themselves and smaller fish. Not one is more aggressive than the others. Cool oddball.

julnj2

Candiru
MFK Member
May 25, 2005
Tampa Bay, FL
Got three today, very placid in my tank.
Very active, never stop moving.
Have them with a large school of Tiger and Rosy barbs. Rainbow Shark and Clown Loach, everything gets along and eats well.

Cichlas

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
Basingstoke, UK
www.totalfishkeeping.com
Kept these a few times, great fish and not had any issues with aggression, although they were the smallest fish by quite a way in the tank, and no other upper level fish other than the chalceus’s in there. They loved daddy long legs/crane flies being dunked in the tank. They gulp them down with just the legs trailing around until the smallowed the Fly completely.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store