Looking For The Giant Wolf Fish (HOPLIAS AMIRA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
Not yet but working on it.. how are you doing Mike?
Alex
Good

I have both the Hoplias curupira and H. aimara species.

I got a small aimara from Gold Garden Pet Shop 4779 Steeles ave East Toronto 416 321-8890 (under $100) in Dec. You might try that store. The owner does not know the different species of wolf fish.

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2005
TORONTO
Good

I got a small aimara from Gold Garden Pet Shop 4779 Steeles ave East Toronto 416 321-8890 (under $100) in Dec. You might try that store. The owner does not know the different species of wolf fish.
Funny, I tried that with piranhas and the lady knew her stuff. Lol!
Wayne.

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
The owner at Gold Garden is knowledgeable in fish especially aros and discus. He just does not know the differences in wolf fish. This is not to take advantage of him. I am explaining that he does not mark the species on the tank. He is aware that a large one is worth $350 or more. He also is selling the fish at a fair price.

He also had Sperata aor in stock (I bought one) but when I tell him the species he does not remember or write it on the tank. Again I respect his knowledge in many other species of fish just he has trouble with a few. This would be repeated by the average hobbyist also.

BTW his brother is part owner of Gold Ocean on Bayview. His brother's co partner in that store is Johnny who specializes in odd balls.

als

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Canada
Good

Thanks Mike,
I will check them out. between the curupira and aimara do you notice a big difference?
Thanks, Alex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2005
TORONTO
The owner at Gold Garden is knowledgeable in fish especially aros and discus. He just does not know the differences in wolf fish. This is not to take advantage of him. I am explaining that he does not mark the species on the tank. He is aware that a large one is worth $350 or more. He also is selling the fish at a fair price.

He also had Sperata aor in stock (I bought one) but when I tell him the species he does not remember or write it on the tank. Again I respect his knowledge in many other species of fish just he has trouble with a few. This would be repeated by the average hobbyist also.

BTW his brother is part owner of Gold Ocean on Bayview. His brother's co partner in that store is Johnny who specializes in odd balls.
I got the wrong store in mind. I was thinking about maple gardens on Gerard. Mike, isn't gold ocean on Kennedy and highway 7? I live on bayview and I never heard of gold ocean on bayview. I just visited the 4 stores around each other including gold garden and I did see a couple of small wolf fish but for the life of me I don,t remember which one had it.

GobyGuru

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2010
Ontario
May I hijack a lil and ask where I can find a Florida Gar 6 - 8 inches or a Red Wolf Fish/Hoplias malabaricus? I am getting a 40 gallon to grow something up for my bigger tank and I would love one of those fish! but I will never find those in Newmarket (we'll there is a 18 inch Florida Gar at Pet Paradise Newmarket but I am looking for a small one lol)

Where do you guys go in the GTA to get these oddball fish? I am willing to drive a little bit but nothing crazy lol

any help is greatly appreciated, good luck on the Aimara search by the way! post pictures when you get that bad boy!

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
I got the wrong store in mind. I was thinking about maple gardens on Gerard. Mike, isn't gold ocean on Kennedy and highway 7? I live on bayview and I never heard of gold ocean on bayview. I just visited the 4 stores around each other including gold garden and I did see a couple of small wolf fish but for the life of me I don,t remember which one had it.
You are right. Gold Ocean is on Leslie (9005 Leslie unit 110 just north of #7)

als

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Canada
Good

Hi Mike,
Glad that we hooked up at Gold Garden.. it was nice to see you after so many yrs. The wolf i bought from Sam was missing one eye so i went back on Sunday..
Not sure if its Aimara, but it is very aggressive..
Thanks, Alex

als

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Canada
Hi Mike,
Glad that we hooked up at Gold Garden.. it was nice to see you after so many yrs. The wolf i bought from Sam was missing one eye so i went back on Sunday..
Not sure if its Aimara, but it is very aggressive..
Thanks, Alex
Mike it has the elongated black spot by its gill. Aimara for sure and extremely aggressive!
Going back to buy the rest..

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store