Looking for the right pike?

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
So I feel like I’m turning into the guy that just asks a bunch of questions and never actually decides or gets anything (haven’t figured out how to fill and do water changes at my new place) but here goes...

I have a 125 gallon and the more I think about it, the more I want a good sized pike cichlid, like a Lenticulata. My questions are
A) is a 125 big enough for a single/bonded pair?
B) what are some good tank mates? I was thinking heros notatus and some geophagus type (wanted Satanoperca jurupari so I think they get too big to keep in a comfortable group in only a 125 gallon) and probably a L190 type pleco.
C) do y’all have a different recommendation on species, either for the Crenicichla or the geophagus type?

Thanks for taking the time to read, I look forward to y’all’s responses!

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
I have read that the lenticulata has similar behavioral characteristics as a lugubris.

Saying that my 10-11" lugubris is a real mean fish, I kept him along with my 13" GATF, and slightly smaller tigrinus, the lugubris would bite the tigrinus as well as the Gatf, eventually moved him to a 100 gallon tank

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Yea lenticulata can be aggressive. A 125g should be fine for one lenticulata. Geos and Heros can kept with them but they were large. There can’t be much if a size difference. All those fish in a 125g maybe pushing it.

I’d suggest getting some medium sized pike cichlids from the saxatalis group. Then tank size should be fine and can have other tankmates and not worry. There are proteus and sveni from wetspot. Aqua imports still have some anthurus. Need lots of decor and plants to keep the agression down. I have svenis and anthurus and get along in my 125g.

Other option is to get a group of dwarf cichlids. Regani and compriceps are really nice in a group. Especially if the other tankamtes arent aggressive. Then the 125g is viable with tankamtes.

Can ask mrrobxc mrrobxc and Rocksor Rocksor . They know much more about pikes.

freak78

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
Northwest, Indiana
I have a pair of Zebrina pikes, they seen the most docile of the pike species I've kept. I have them with peacock bass, distichodus, clown knife, flagtail prochilodus and a fire eel. I think a 125 would be the smallest tank I would keep a pair in but I think some type Geo's would work well. This is my adult pair, the male is 15 inches the female is about 11 to 12 inches. Tank is 24 inches wide for reference.20181013_171844.jpg

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
If you have an aggressive lugubris like a lenticulata, be prepared to have issues of trying to get a pair to cohabitate, possibly losing one of them. A different pike family like saxatilis, regani, or lacustris would be better for the 125g. I wouldn't put a pike from the lugubris family in anything less than 6x2 (180g)

If you already have the lent, then just keep it with fast swimming dithers that are tall bodied like silver dollars.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
If you have an aggressive lugubris like a lenticulata, be prepared to have issues of trying to get a pair to cohabitate, possibly losing one of them. A different pike family like saxatilis, regani, or lacustris would be better for the 125g. I wouldn't put a pike from the lugubris family in anything less than 6x2 (180g)

If you already have the lent, then just keep it with fast swimming dithers that are tall bodied like silver dollars.
I agree with rocksor. A 125 will be too small for lugubris species. An acutirostris type would work. Rapps has acutirostris, several vendors have zebrina, and Wes has Multispinosa. Otherwise, stick with the saxatilis types.

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Thanks guys! I love zebrinas but I was under the impression they got too big. The big thing I like is very clear patterns. Y’all talk about different “groups” of pike cichlids but how are those classified out side of species and genius? Was under the impression that all pike cichlids were under the genius Crenicichla?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Thanks guys! I love zebrinas but I was under the impression they got too big. The big thing I like is very clear patterns. Y’all talk about different “groups” of pike cichlids but how are those classified out side of species and genius? Was under the impression that all pike cichlids were under the genius Crenicichla?
They are all in the same genus Crenicichla. The groups are used to identify differing characteristics

https://thecichlidstage.com/vin-kutty-interview/

Reactions: kno4te

cktyu

Black Skirt Tetra
Aug 28, 2018
Which crenicichla are popular or common in the aquarium trade? I mean there are many species and I really doubt all of them are currently traded

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Which crenicichla are popular or common in the aquarium trade? I mean there are many species and I really doubt all of them are currently traded
Common are belly crawlers, sveni, regani and compressiceps. Also seen are atabapo pikes 1 and sp Venezuela, in regards to larger and more aggressive pikes. Atleast in most aquarium shops. The others are not often available and always a nice addition. Can be ordered thru vendors.

These are what I see locally and online.

Reactions: cktyu
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store