Looking to connect with Puffer owners and planted aquarium owners!:)

Keep the plants in the Abei tank? Or turn it into driftwood and dragon rock only?

• No plants

• Keep plants

Results are only viewable after voting.

1Puff-one

Feeder Fish
Feb 5, 2019
Wisconsin
Hi everyone on from Wisconsin, I have three thanks, one of them is a 40 gallon breeder with a Pao Abei puffer, it's a planted tank; I have a 10 gallon cube with three Dwarf Puffers, and a dojo loach, and I have a 20 gallon beta tank with a Chinese algaeeater. I'm looking for a advice about puffer fish keeping and potential tank mates for the Abe Puffer his name is Wallace, and although the extremely lazy and timid, he will still snap a fish in half like a toothpick. . I look forward to meeting you all and learning more!

20190129_024826.jpg

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Welcome. Plenty of puffer keepers. Check our the puffer section

I got bad news about your abei though. Yours looks like a turgidus

Turgidus
29346309707_d096a59794_b.jpg

Abei

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Welcome aboard!!!

You could definitely try keeping the plants as long ss they aren’t super fragile sincd some puffers do like to rescape their homes...

As for tankmates, honestly probably something like Ottos would be the best bet since they are cheap and stick to themselves normally...

Otherwise, you could try other small, fast moving fish but in a 40G it doesnt give them much hiding space unless there is a lot of nooks and crannies for them to hide in / under that the puffer cant reach...

1Puff-one

Feeder Fish
Feb 5, 2019
Wisconsin
Welcome. Plenty of puffer keepers. Check our the puffer section

I got bad news about your abei though. Yours looks like a turgidus
It's not bad news, I still love this potato:)
I had an extremely hard time trying to find info 9n Pao Abei so maybe I'll have better luck with Turgidus research.
But thank you so much for the info, I had a hunch, however the spots were hard to distinguish since this little fella is extremely shy and changes color throughout the day, his eyes were an indicator mostly. But in direct light sometimes they had an orange tint if I were able to determine it's sex I would love to get him/her a mate

Reactions: tlindsey

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
It's not bad news, I still love this potato:)
I had an extremely hard time trying to find info 9n Pao Abei so maybe I'll have better luck with Turgidus research.
But thank you so much for the info, I had a hunch, however the spots were hard to distinguish since this little fella is extremely shy and changes color throughout the day, his eyes were an indicator mostly. But in direct light sometimes they had an orange tint if I were able to determine it's sex I would love to get him/her a mate
Yeah Abei are rare. Still a good pickup. Mate wise is a crap shoot. Theyre so vicious they'll kill about anything you put in there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store