Looks like the activists have found the tropical fish trade...….only the beginning?

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Wow! Two bettas fighting similar to a pit bull fight? I've got to get myself some of these bettas!
You can search youtube, there are videos on it.... these fishes are kept 1 in a bottle and a cupboard placed between the bottles to prevent them from being able to see each other if not they will try to fight and bang their mouth against the glass and the mouth will be deformed

Ketapang leaves are used to heal them or keep them in good condition

kkirkt

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2017
To be fair, I do consider this hobby somewhat cruel to the fish.

For the best cared for fish-
They were probably shipped to the store/new owner (stressful)
How many other fish died in transport (ratio of live fish/all shipped)
Most fish probably do not have anywhere near the size of container that they would like/prefer
Most don't have the ideal water characteristics that they should have in the wild
Some never get the opportunity to try to mate (something I'd regret!)

For the less than well cared for fish-
How many die agonizing deaths (due to lack of knowledge or care) [my earlier ignorance of the nitrogen cycle still embarrasses me]
I've seen quite a few dead fish in most fish stores.

Nature is pretty cruel (there are some pretty awful ways for animals to die in the wild), and captive fish should have a relatively low stress life (compared to wild). But I think our hobby should try to minimize animal suffering.

And I'm pretty hypocritical:
I've ordered fish online (and 1 shipment died due to the delivery company not actually delivering overnight)
I do feed my fish some live foods (the live foods probably find it pretty stressful).
I eat meat even though I have concerns about large-scale animal production (feed lots)
etc, etc

Most of us probably agree that there is a certain "standard level of care" (possibly including a humane death) that all animals should get. We probably disagree greatly on where we'd draw the line for that "standard level of care" for various species.
Intentionally dropping fish in bleach - well below the standard of care
Overstocking - below standard of care for some, normal practice for many

I do find it cruel that bettas are kept in very small containers. I also find it cruel that some large fish have almost no stimulation (swim around in a big tank, no tank mates, etc- of course, they'd eat their tank mates, but that is stimulation). Zoos are somewhat cruel (but educational and entertaining). But in the big picture, I'll worry about other problems because I think there are bigger fish to fry (cruel to the fried fish, of course :naughty:).

So I think our hobby might benefit from some scrutiny, but I agree that some animal welfare groups would go well beyond what I think would be good. Like many areas of life, a few obvious bad apples can ruin it for others. The extremely poor treatment of some fish, by some LFSs/people, could result in more interference that I want.
After that rambling sermon, I"ll get off my soapbox.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
PETA needs to come to Asia to do this is they want to make an impact, although they’d probably have a heart attack seeing how all the fish are treated here lol...

On a serious note though, Bettas were mainly used for entertainment purposes for many many years here, where they were never meant to be kept long term, only short term, to fight with and sometimes gamble money on...

Asian culture is weird in that way, coz especially for the older generation, they still like betting on fighting animals, be it spiders, crickets, fish or some other insect or animal...

So basically till these people really start to look at these “inferior” animals as pets, there lives sadly wont get any better...

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Well going by the logic a lot of people used in the last betta thread....They should avoid conversation wait 6 months then steal them. :lipsseale :lipsseale:
Going by the logic of that same thread, conversations are useless at achieving anything :naughty:

• Haha
Reactions: islandguy11

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Well going by the logic a lot of people used in the last betta thread....They should avoid conversation wait 6 months then steal them. :lipsseale :lipsseale:
Then come here and enjoy all the back patting and high 5'in. :bs::thumbsup:

• Haha
Reactions: islandguy11

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Well it depends on who you conversate with. :thumbsdow
I suppose. Some people are impossible to talk to :naughty:

P.S. I am joking mate. I am not one of those that holds hard feelings. I like debating and anything I say is never personal. We're all humans in the end of the day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store