loosing patience with this cycle

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO

Seems only 2-3 of the bottled bacteria on the market are actual nitrifying bacteria.

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
Is there some kind of organic mass decomposing in the tank? That ammonia bouncing is kinda crazy.

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
Sorry if I missed it, but what test kit are you using and are you 100% sure you're doing the nitrate test properly? That's a common issue with the API master test kit.

I don't understand the need to 're-cycle' the tank? You used well established media out of your old filter. You should have been good to go instantly.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
if you are using the API test kit, the nitrate bottle bottle 2 needs the pee shook out of it, beat on a table what ever for at-least 3 minutes, I was guilty of this as are many folks, I mean really shake it up as it crystallizes in the bottle , average cycle is 5 to 6 weeks.

bathawk

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2014
london
no i use these test kits on my 4 other tanks with no issues I looking toward what zanzag has mentioned when I set up the tank I heavily planted it with crypts now I know crypts melt but these were dying off I had a nicrew planted led light which I suspected and replaced it the plants are now beginning to recover so I am wondering if there are still some roots still in the substrate that are decaying and causing the ammonia spikes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store