Losing interest?

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
I almost feel like i am losing interest in fish but i don't want to. I have not done a water change on one of my tanks for like 7 months. I have plans for larger tanks and ponds, but i am afraid that i am going to lose interest. I was really interested in electronics for a brief period of time and then i just lost interest. I was interested in electronics for about 4 months. I have had fish for a very long time and i am afraid i will loose interest. I was interested in fish about 6 years ago and i had a 19 gallon tank and i lost interest. I had a goldfish in that 10 gallon and i moved him to a 20 and then a 55 and i was really interested but i am afraid i am going to lose interest again. Maybe it is because i have not done much new with aquariums recently. I hope i don't loose interest in fish like i did with electronics, but i was never really passionate about electronics like i am with fish. I feel like i am neglecting my fish. I have been super busy and really stressed during the 2015-16 school year. That was my teacher's last year teaching. She is now retired. She is dying from smoking 60+ cigarettes a day. She would leave class every 30 minutes to smoke. The beginning of the school year was great, but it got bad as my teacher got sicker.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I almost feel like i am losing interest in fish but i don't want to. I have not done a water change on one of my tanks for like 7 months. I have plans for larger tanks and ponds, but i am afraid that i am going to lose interest. I was really interested in electronics for a brief period of time and then i just lost interest. I was interested in electronics for about 4 months. I have had fish for a very long time and i am afraid i will loose interest. I was interested in fish about 6 years ago and i had a 19 gallon tank and i lost interest. I had a goldfish in that 10 gallon and i moved him to a 20 and then a 55 and i was really interested but i am afraid i am going to lose interest again. Maybe it is because i have not done much new with aquariums recently. I hope i don't loose interest in fish like i did with electronics, but i was never really passionate about electronics like i am with fish. I feel like i am neglecting my fish. I have been super busy and really stressed during the 2015-16 school year. That was my teacher's last year teaching. She is now retired. She is dying from smoking 60+ cigarettes a day. She would leave class every 30 minutes to smoke. The beginning of the school year was great, but it got bad as my teacher got sicker.
Sorry about your teacher. Try something new with the hobby. You have no predator fish, not even an eel or a small knife. Try some cichlids. They have great personality, something you would never see with goldfish or a pleco. You could also try a single puffer.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
I am going to get a blood parrot cichlid. I may build a greenhouse and if i do, i will build an above ground stingray and arowana pond and a 180 gallon acrylic ranchu tank. I just feel bad that i have not been doing water changes and i think i am going to do it, but i just don't get around to it. I am going to get one of those python aquarium water changes. I had a REAL difficult time over the school year. It was very traumatic and upsetting. I have been really on-edge since about september of 2015.

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
How many tanks do you have? I was a tank hoarder. I then cut down to 2 tanks and enjoy everything so much more. I never really cared about aquascaping and gadgets, but started when all my attention was on 2 tanks. Try doing something other then just keeping fish. Such as breeding, well maintained planted, catch some natives or do a reef.

Instead of having plans for larger tanks and ponds, make plans to have only one large pond and focus on it. Build your own stuff like a sump, aquascape and pond. I assume you live with your parents. Get your dad involved. It is always fun to have someone to work with and talk to about the tank. Putting in the work yourself is much more satisfying and makes you appreciate the system more.

If you have a small interest in electronics look into getting a reef keeper or apex and start automating you system.

Last edited:

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
I have a 55 and that is empty and i have 2 40 breeders and 1 is empty. I am going to refill the empty one and get a cichlid. I also have a 20 tall and two 2.5 gallon tanks. I have a 1500 gallon koi pond also.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
You should get your current unhealthy tank, healthy again before you purchase more fish.
That or trade in your current fish for the new fish you want. But don't have multiple tanks running if you haven't been taking care of one.

Chillz23

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2016
You can't 'decide' not to lose interest in something. That's just what happens.

Move on, do something else.

You feel you're going to lose interest in fish, aren't looking after the fish you have now and your answer is to get more fish to possibly neglect?

Genius.

I get bored of stuff quickly, too. I'll be bored of fish within the year, I can almost guarantee it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store