Lost this old girl today.

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
Sorry for the lose. That was a big tinfoil barb and I`ll bet it was quite a sight to see swimming around. How long did you have her?

Reactions: tlindsey

jprp

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2009
derbyshire england
Thanks - 13.5 years, according to my notebook i got the group in December 2005, it just says small regarding size so i assume around 1.5 inches long. I now have only one of the group left.

Reactions: tlindsey

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
It's certainly an impressive fish but there could well be a clue to its demise there. That fish looks like a football, it's all out of proportion to me. I know that tinfoils are a very greedy fish, I have them. Couple that with their immense speed and they can clean up food before any other fish has ate it's first mouthful. That fish looks like it's eaten itself to death!

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

jprp

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2009
derbyshire england
It's certainly an impressive fish but there could well be a clue to its demise there. That fish looks like a football, it's all out of proportion to me. I know that tinfoils are a very greedy fish, I have them. Couple that with their immense speed and they can clean up food before any other fish has ate it's first mouthful. That fish looks like it's eaten itself to death!
They have not been big eaters in years, the males were way smaller and more sleek in body shape, recently this one had taken to freaking out at lights out and bouncing off the tank sides which i think has hastened it's demise and accounts for the red marks.
Also is 13 and a half years not a good lifespan for a tinfoil then?

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
They have not been big eaters in years, the males were way smaller and more sleek in body shape, recently this one had taken to freaking out at lights out and bouncing off the tank sides which i think has hastened it's demise and accounts for the red marks.
Also is 13 and a half years not a good lifespan for a tinfoil then?
Yeah that's an exceptionally good innings for a tinfoil. Are you after replacing it? I'm only up the road in Lancashire. I have two tinfoils i'd let go free to a good home. Mine are about 11-12". They're about 4 years old. It would probably only take an hour and a half to get to me.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I've never kept a fish over 15 years, so yes that's pretty good for captive fish.

I had a couple tin foil barbs for a short time back in 1977, when I knew nothing about them.

But they grew just as fast, and I had them in a 10g LOL

I don't recall what happened to those fish. I got them just before my first child was born and we moved to the country.

But I do remember also having a bala shark and a pictus in that tank and probably a betta. :uhoh:

Most probably perished in the move.

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
I have two right now that are medium sized. I almost got rid of them at six inches or so but decided to keep them for life. They are now a little over seven inches. They are amazingly fast and a great way to get rid of excess snails which they gladly swallow whole. I hope they live as long as jprp`s and get as large and impressive!

Reactions: tlindsey and Ulu
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store