Lots of Questions for breeding Stingray

ray777

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2005
Chicago Land Area
I have a 210 gallon tank with a 75 gallon tank underneath as the filter with 6-5gallon buckets of bio balls in it for filtration that I made. I keep the tank at 80-82 degrees. I use red flint #20 gravel. For those that don't know its fine gravel. For those that do is it good to use for breeding? I am intersted in breeding motoros. All the help and advice I can get like, is the tank good enough how many can I have, etc,etc.

Darin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Josh,
Tank is ok for now, but yu will need to upgrade eventually.
If yu want a good chance of breeding, at least 36" width, like 8x3x2.
Bump your temp up too, 86 is the magic #.
Darin.

rickyedcom

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2006
Edmonton Alberta Canada
Mine breed at 78 degress fahrenheit. I never change the temperature. They first bred in my 120 5feet long by 18 inches wide. I did upgrade my tank and now have them in a 240 with a 75 sump using Matala Filtration Media, google it, it works really great. My last batch were born on April 24th, I got 6 this batch. It's really cool to see how stingrays can breed in so many different conditions. I have motoro's. :) I might have to try raising the temp a few degrees and see if I get a bigger litter like TFDFish that would be really cool. Congrats on the babies TFDFish :)

AttackFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2007
Torrance
I want to try and breed motoros, but I doubt its going to work for me because in there growout they will be housed with a black arowana and in there final tank they will also have two silver arowanas, so I might possibly just get one, I would like to get two of them as I would have enough room in a 375 gallon tank, but if they bred I dont want the pups to be harassed.

kelsf

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
ray777;858749; said:
All ideas sound good so far. Anyone keep fish in there with them when they breed?
My friend rays give birth when there is other fish in the tank. Those are 20" aro, 2- 12" dat widebar, 10" tigrinus in tanks size 72"x30"26". Hope this help.

kelvin,

AttackFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2007
Torrance
Im not going to breed motoros anymore, Im going to TRY and breed histrix, Im going to be working at an LFS this summer so I'll probably put them into one of the large growout tanks in the back then into the display pond that has koi in it at the moment.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
rickyedcom;868119; said:
No other fish in the tank with my stingrays :)
what do you mean no other fish in the tank :confused:

my rays have bred in my tank with 6 x 12inch tiger/dat a 22inch asian arowana a 22inch tigrinus cat and a 12inch flagtail

as far as i know their are lots of diffrent fish in the amoazon not just rays :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store