lots of ray questions

mdo135

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2007
Medway Me.
First of all I am not a total noob, I've had a lots of large cichlids over the years, but now I want to get a motoro this summer, I have done tons of reserch, I read all of the ray stickies but I still have a few questions!

First I want to know a little about filters. From what I hear The Emp 400 is the 'top of the line' filter. Is this true, will it properly filter a 125 gallon, and is a 125 even enough for a ray?

Also, if I get the emp what should I put in the seccond media slot? Other sites told me Call-pore Bio-media slabs.

I have Herd hundreds of foods to feed it, but I want to know what you guys feed yours, and whats best.

I want to do sand for the bottom, Any advise?

Im sorry I have so many questions! But I dont want to loose a $100 fish in one week

jdepasqu2

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
philadelphia
first off....., start off...... with a tank that is atleast 2' in width....., then worry about the rest.... a 125 is typically less than 2' in width unless its custom...

go with a wet/dry......, u cant beat it...

food......?? every rays seems to have their preference.... just have to try everything to figure that one out....., start with the list in stickies....

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
wet/dry or large canisters... too keep rays in a tank you need atleast a 180 6x2x2 and will have to upgrade ponds are the best bet in the long. I fed mine night crawlers shrimps smelts pellets etc... rays will eat pretty much everything..

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Nice to see another Mainer on here!

Alex.P

Feeder Fish
Apr 17, 2007
London
Most of you Americans have a hot climate all year round, so make a nice large pond with a huge sand filter, if you have the space. Rays need a 200cm 90cm 50/60cm tank.
Alex

JamieC77

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2006
Indiana
I have one Motoro in a 120 and he is on his way to a bigger tank within a few months. If you have the money it is def worth starting off with a bigger tank I wish I would have. As far as what they eat, I have to agree with the others, it usually depends on the ray. Blackworms are great to start with if they are a little skinny or are picky eaters. Mine really likes nightcrawlers now.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Alex.P;834932; said:
Most of you Americans have a hot climate all year round, so make a nice large pond with a huge sand filter, if you have the space. Rays need a 200cm 90cm 50/60cm tank.
Alex
Sand filters are great for mechanical filtration, but provide virtually no biological medium. Just something to consider.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store