low stands

hayden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2007
nc
my mom has final say in what i build but im thinking a plat form that is 8x2x.5 feet or 8x2x1 or 8x2x1.5

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
RexFish;991166; said:
Hes got a point, the shorter the stand the stronger it is because its closer to the ground making less force on the stand due to gravity.

Sorry, not on our planet ;).

Shorter stands may be stronger due to less twisting (diagonal forces) but not because of gravity.

Dr Joe

ercnan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2006
The End Of The Yellow Brick Road
:grinno:
RexFish;991166; said:
Hes got a point, the shorter the stand the stronger it is because its closer to the ground making less force on the stand due to gravity.
So there is less force on the ladder legs if I'm standing on the first step as opposed to standing on the top ?? :screwy: :) :grinno:

Plecosterone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
Stand height makes no difference. Construction methods do. Most people way overbuild stands. Even particle board (which most stands in LFS are) can hold an amazing amound of weight if they are built right.

Lil_Stinker

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 30, 2006
State of Emergency
Are you looking to distribute the weight of the tank over a larger footprint than the tank? That would be the only way to make the weight per sq-ft lower, but you will not be lessening the force on the floor.

hayden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2007
nc
i am trying to lower the weight per square foot from what i have heard the floor can hold it it just needs to be spread out bigger.

Epic Fabrications

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2007
Maryland
the higher it is, the easier manual water changes are. unless you run out of reaching room...

My in wall stand is about 39" tall. So its higher than the back of a couch. I think its a great height. My tank came with a 16" tall stand but I told the guy "you can have it" and his response was "ill just take it to the dump."

I hate low stands. Nothing worse than sitting on the floor to see your pets...

skillzizzo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2007
Mesa - Arizona
i dont see the problem to begin with any floor in the world except maybe in a mud hut is strong enought to hold a 90 gallon tank i have had plently of tanks even a 150 on a 3rd floor in my old apartment which i had my jardini in. Can some one back me up on this one a 90 gallon tank isn't even going to come close to going through a floor or putting to much pressure on it in any way it's not big enough or doesn't weight enought to case any kind of problem.

hayden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2007
nc
i agree with you but my parents own the house and they said if the handy man contractor guy thinks it wont work out i have to sell it. which is not what i want to do. im going to talk to the guy tomorrow and ask him what must be done do make it work. im also going to tell him that accepting it wont work is not an option

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store