Lowest reasonable temp for my Sera Rhom?

Slythy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2015
I have a largish tank 180G that is costing quite a bit to heat and also i want to add shrimp from my shrimp tank when the population explodes. i have been keeping it at 78 and was wondering if dropping it to 76 would be an issue.

Thanks

JSpilo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2016
Maryland
Your Rhom's metabolism will drop; will eat less and will be less active. It'll do just fine.

I keep mine at 83F (just need to make sure water is well oxygenated and plenty of flow/turnover)... he's very active, swims around, chases me and my wife around the tank trying to scare us off, and eats like a glutton.

I turn his temp down slowly to roughly 76F the week leading up to a long vacation when we know he won't be fed for a week or so. He's 6.5"

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
so...knowing were these fish come from how often do you think they experience a low temp? I say that's pushing it for a permanent temp for a serra species. Try insulating the sides of the tank and sump if there is one, as well as the lids. He may do alright but as slow growing as these fish are already I wouldn't want his metabolism any lower. just my vote. How much can it be costing you to heat a 180? I heat a 150 and 125 with 300w heaters and I don't notice any difference in my bill more than like 50 bucks in the cold months.

JSpilo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2016
Maryland
Oh, forgot to mention that your shrimp won't make it long with a Rhom as a tank mate.
76F or 83F it doesn't matter... when your Rhom gets hungry, curious, even upset that something is invading territory, it's byebye to the shrimp.

Slythy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2015
its a planted tank, so its not like they wont have tons of places to hide. I know the rhom is going to eat some of them, they will be only introduced from culls of a breeding shrimp tank. I have the tank at 76* and he seems happy. He doesnt swim much anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store