Luciobarbus brachycephalus, aka Aral barbel or Caspian barbel

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thanks to our fearless trailblazer and pioneer Wesley Wong fugupuff fugupuff we got access to this rare jewel -- https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...r-rare-list-from-all-around-the-world.682201/

Here is what Wes said about it: "Luciobarbus brachycephalus Albino - Snake like barb, with mouth like catfish - originally from Kasakhstan. First time in the USA. They are eating cut shrimp and pellets already, seem to be pretty easy to keep. 5" $175.00 each only a few pieces, I would say pretty rare."

FishBase: Cypriniformes > Cyprinidae> Barbinae

FishBase: max 90 cm / 105 cm male/female; 66 cm / 62 cm common size; max 22 kg.

Fishing World Records 70 - 120+ cm; 3 - 23 kg; 24 years.

Freshwater; brackish; benthopelagic; potamodromous.

Climate: Temperate

Eurasia: Caspian and Aral sea basins; River Chun (Kasakhstan).

Biology:
Matures at ~60 cm. Deep river runs o/gravel, stone, reservoirs, lakes, canals. In freshened sea parts, <25 m deep. Prey mainly on benthic crustaceans. Migrates w/o feeding up to larger tributaries to spawn in fast water o/hard bottom. At spawning sites take mainly insects, other fish juvies, rarely algae, seeds, other plant material. Fisheries: commercial. Status: Vulnerable.

My pair have been very easy, munching on anything. I offer mostly pellets and cut fish. I must surmise it is farmed in the area, because these are albino.

Luciobarbus 1.JPG Luciobarbus 2.JPG Luciobarbus 3.JPG Luciobarbus 4.JPG Luciobarbus 5.JPG

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Wow! NOW I'm jealous. Predatory cyprinids are just about the coolest fish around. What temperature are you keeping them at since they seem to be in a tank with the Rousseauxii? I suspect these might need a winter cooldown to live to their full lifespan.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
You may be right but I have no options. All my tanks are the same temp. I neither heat, nor cool. Currently at 80 F. So there is a natural cool down in my tanks, from 86-90 F in the summer to 72-80 F in the winter. Of course, the winter lows don't match what the Lucios are exposed to in the wild.

We keep many fish from temperate climates with 4 seasons in tropical tanks and ponds. The most common is goldfish and koi.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
I'm quite aware that keeping them in cooler temps isn't too easy in Naples :) Considering their natural habitat they will definitely be able to endure high temperatures, if anything there might be long-term effects because of the lack of winter cooldown. But, since none of us have any experience, it will be great to observe how yours do :)

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
You may be right but I have no options. All my tanks are the same temp. I neither heat, nor cool. Currently at 80 F. So there is a natural cool down in my tanks, from 86-90 F in the summer to 72-80 F in the winter. Of course, the winter lows don't match what the Lucios are exposed to in the wild.

We keep many fish from temperate climates with 4 seasons in tropical tanks and ponds. The most common is goldfish and koi.
Have you noticed any behavioral differences in fish because of the temperature swings? Especially the tropical ones like the tiger fish...? I maintain my tanks at 80 degrees but I definitely wouldn't mind turning off the heaters if it doesn't adversely affect the fish.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I think the seasonal temp changes my fish experience are not that far from what naturally occurs in tropical but especially sub-tropical climates.

We have way too many fish across families, continents, and climates to generalize but some appear to show seasonal changes in behavior; others hard to say... maybe; the majority appears about the same throughout the seasons. I can't say I noted that ATF are affected but mine are only ~2 years old yet. Most prominent example are our silver aros. They are the only fish that ever bred for me (not counting koi) and they have been doing it all of their own volition without any effort on my part.

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
I think the seasonal temp changes my fish experience are not that far from what naturally occurs in tropical but especially sub-tropical climates.

We have way too many fish across families, continents, and climates to generalize but some appear to show seasonal changes in behavior; others hard to say... maybe; the majority appears about the same throughout the seasons. I can't say I noted that ATF are affected but mine are only ~2 years old yet. Most prominent example are our silver aros. They are the only fish that ever bred for me (not counting koi) and they have been doing it all of their own volition without any effort on my part.
Good to know. Both my tanks are indoors and the ambient temperature never goes below 70. I'll give it a shot.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Update please.

Reactions: J. H.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Update please.
Hey mate! Sorry. I don't visit here regularly. You know where to find me ;)

The pair has been doing well. Eating very well but growing very, very slowly. They are about 6"-7" now. They like both pellets and cut fish. Swim non-stop all over their 240 gal. Don't appear to bother anyone or be bothered by anyone despite a boisterous and motley tank mate crew.

Reactions: moe214

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Update please.
June 14, 2017 update. Luciobarbus pair and their tank mates.

I have just had them switch 240 gal tanks. Tank mates in the prior tank grew up much quicker and I was getting worried about the the Lucios, especially once I saw the biggest one missing a part of the dorsal leading ray, that was it, had to rehome. So they are a bit roughed up from the prior tank and from fighting it out in a net.

Other than that, they have been doing well. Ravenous feeders. Very acute senses. Very agile. Inquisitive. Slow growing fish, probably about 7" right now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store