Lungfish Attacked - emergency help needed

SuperNinja

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2014
Desert
Hi everyone just woke up and found my lungfish like this after being in the tank for a week post quarantine. I have moved him to a smaller grow out tank where he is bigger by far. Aside from water changes what can i do to help heal him all up?

he was in with some bichir and datnoids. I can almost guarantee it was some of the endlicheri which are 7-9” and the lungfish is 11-12”. Let me know thank you!

98627FA3-2B0E-410C-B1AB-2E64A85429C0.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Add some salt, 1 tsp per g. Can dip the tail in some methylene blue. Should get better. Lung fish are resilient at times and hope this is one of those times.

SuperNinja

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2014
Desert
It doesn’t seem to be panting to panicking. I’ll get some salt and try the methyl blue. I do dose the tanks with probiotics so hopefully that helps as well.

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
The main issue is preventing secondary infections (bacterial and fungal).
The fish could recover and have a very obvious bragging right for the rest of its life. However, it should not continue to coexist with neighbors. That was quite a bite!

SuperNinja

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2014
Desert
My guess is it was multiple bites over the entire night. But I agree going to get some aquarium salt and see how it heals up. While that happens I’ll have to rethink my stocking. I’ve kept bichir and lungfish before in the past with no issues but there must be some different personalities this time.

Reactions: tlindsey

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
That is very cool!
It is amazing that these animals can regenerate whole body parts, similar to salamanders and (some) frogs. I sure did not know that.
It is also kind of neat to learn that the lead author of this study you found is a former postdoc of Neil Shubin's lab at U.Chicago. Shubin, Jenkins and Daeschler (the later a colleague) have discovered/described several breakthrough and new fossil taxa of early tetrapods, but also of the closest known possible link between fish and amphibians (Tiktaalik roseae, a sarcopterygian fish discovered in Ellesmere Island, Canada). Sarcopterygians are also know as lobe-finned fish.
Thanks for sharing and good luck with the recovery of your lungfish. Documenting its improvement (regeneration?) could be an important contribution on your part.

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store