Mac's Discus or???

Sauteman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2011
usa
www.blogtalkradio.com
Hello. I am going to be switching over to discus in June. I am making my tank a discus biotype with driftwood and plants. I want wild type discus, but I don't care if they are tank raised. I am looking for red spot green, tefe, and alenquer. I know Macs has them for $30, and I will be getting 6. Is macs good? Has anyone ever shopped at macs? I want to make sure I am getting good quality fish. Also if not, does any one know where I can find rsg, tefe, and alenquer online?

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
He has very nice when I interviewed him for a jr high project, but I can't say much about the quality of fish. That was 20+ years ago. They were nice back in the day.

vanman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2011
Woodinville WA
Mac"s discus is excellent. I bought 15 or so from him. A very nice laid back guy. He is actually just down the street from me. He is very lucky as he has a natural excellent acid water supply. He use to only raise his own. He now imports from a very very reliable source. He takes his business very seriously. He will not sell you something he has not quarantined and grown a bit to be sure of health and quality. His fish room I am envious of. He just drains all water 2 times daily and fills them up with preheated natural water. The smaller the better discus ship. Be sure to keep lights off for the remainder of the day you receive them.Keep your water around 6 ph with low minerals and do your water changes. Discus can come up in ph over time but they do not breed well All the discus I received from him prospered and bread well.

altumz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
earf
never had experience from mac. depending on size $30 doesnt seem so bad. but then i gotta know the size and how it looks. normally u want a discus thats eating well and has a nice shape and just looks healthy. i would ask for actual pics of the fish u'll be getting before making a purchase. another option is john (snook21) he's a member here and not sure if he's still a vendor here or not. but u can check him out on aquabid along with his site on their, he has a bunch of wild discus for sale. and a pretty good price. and he takes pics of actual fish u'll be getting so there are no surprises when u get them. had bought from him in the past and they look great.

Sauteman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2011
usa
www.blogtalkradio.com
Mac"s discus is excellent. I bought 15 or so from him. A very nice laid back guy. He is actually just down the street from me. He is very lucky as he has a natural excellent acid water supply. He use to only raise his own. He now imports from a very very reliable source. He takes his business very seriously. He will not sell you something he has not quarantined and grown a bit to be sure of health and quality. His fish room I am envious of. He just drains all water 2 times daily and fills them up with preheated natural water. The smaller the better discus ship. Be sure to keep lights off for the remainder of the day you receive them.Keep your water around 6 ph with low minerals and do your water changes. Discus can come up in ph over time but they do not breed well All the discus I received from him prospered and bread well.
Thank you for the info was very good. Now I will buy the discus from him. I loved tank rasied wild guys. Will he give actual pictures of the fish should I ask?
Now, I usually keep my ph around 6.0-7.2. is this good? The discus tankmates will be 3 festivums, and 2 of my peru altums.

Sauteman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2011
usa
www.blogtalkradio.com
never had experience from mac. depending on size $30 doesnt seem so bad. but then i gotta know the size and how it looks. normally u want a discus thats eating well and has a nice shape and just looks healthy. i would ask for actual pics of the fish u'll be getting before making a purchase. another option is john (snook21) he's a member here and not sure if he's still a vendor here or not. but u can check him out on aquabid along with his site on their, he has a bunch of wild discus for sale. and a pretty good price. and he takes pics of actual fish u'll be getting so there are no surprises when u get them. had bought from him in the past and they look great.
I like snook21 but his discus are in the $120 range. I want to get a lot of discus and not spend in the $120 range for 1. If you he can get small 2'' ones for $40 I don't mind paying $10-$15 extra.

CarvinSigX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Illinois
I like snook21 but his discus are in the $120 range. I want to get a lot of discus and not spend in the $120 range for 1. If you he can get small 2'' ones for $40 I don't mind paying $10-$15 extra.
You can get bigger than 2" from Discus Hans for that price.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
You can get bigger than 2" from Discus Hans for that price.
In am getting into discus for my next big tank (won't be for a year or two unless I come into some money LOL) and have been doing a ton of research on caring for these fish and who to buy from. I read reviews for Mac's discus are 60/40 good/bad. I have read many more positive reports on Hans' discus though. His reviews tend to be 90/10 good/bad. The price difference is virtually non-existent as their prices are pretty much the same. Of course I always take reviews with a grain of salt because people tend to be either too excited or too pissed off when writing them.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

vanman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2011
Woodinville WA
Success with discus comes from constant water changes with a very low ph even 5 is great and a high temp. Where you get them does not really matter as long as they are healthy and your ph is low and the heat is high 82 at a minimum. Your choice for tank mates is fine as long as they are all healthy with the same resistances to the same things. this is where quarantine tanks come in. The smaller the discus the less stress they will have with shipping. They will still be stressed. At receiving them they need to be quarantined to get use to your water and de-stress. This is the main time they are going to 'catch' something from the other fish. There are many individuals that think they can just add discus and expect them to do well like other tropicals. They do not have the same thing going on. At this stressed time they pick up stuff they have not encountered before and in just a mater of days start to show signs of the stress and disease. The buyer then blames the supplier and it is not their fault at all. I am defending all suppliers when it comes to discus.

As far as your tank. The fish you have planned are good but how big is your tank. With discus you need a low bio-load, low ph, high heat and low light. Not many plants will survive in this environment. Common sword plants will survive. For what you are planning to keep you need a big tank. Even hybrid discus do not tolerate nitrates over 10ppm well. I have made that mistake before.

wdeleon01

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2009
San Fernando, CA
Discus from Hans are great. You might also look into Kenny's Discus as well both of them have excellent Discus Im speaking from experience. If you are going to put them into a planted tank I would suggest that you get them at 4" + . If you put 2.5" Discus into planted tank most likely you will end up with Stunted discus and they will not grow or thrive specially if its 75+ tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store