Made an acquaintance with a super peer in Asia

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
He obliged my suggestion and published his first short video on YT. 25 seconds but what fish! 3ft / 1m Giant Siamese Carp, Mekong Giant Catfish, and arapaima, I am guessing this is a 6000 gal growout for his large pond/lake, in which he says he has 30-70 kg / 65-155 lb Giant Siamese Carp:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I've just met him on YT. All I know is his YT channel name, that Giant Siamese Carp are local to him, and that he keeps awesome fish, both the kind and the size. He doesn't seem keen on sharing, judging from his empty YT channel, but he published his first video, as you can see. IDK what to expect and have no expectations. I haven't invited him over to join the MFK. It may feel intrusive, unwelcome to my taste. Besides, MFK streets have been pretty empty, relatively speaking, even for its much reduced state vs the glory-gone-by days.

Bigfishkh

Feeder Fish
Feb 5, 2024
I've just met him on YT. All I know is his YT channel name, that Giant Siamese Carp are local to him, and that he keeps awesome fish, both the kind and the size. He doesn't seem keen on sharing, judging from his empty YT channel, but he published his first video, as you can see. IDK what to expect and have no expectations. I haven't invited him over to join the MFK. It may feel intrusive, unwelcome to my taste. Besides, MFK streets have been pretty empty, relatively speaking, even for its much reduced state vs the glory-gone-by days.
Hi, finally got around to making the account after being inspired by your latest video where you moved your siamensis to the smaller pond. I kind of forgot until recently. I notice there is almost no information online and I am more than happy to share what I know.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
From BigFishKH to me:

Mekong Giant Catfish. Please find attached videos (TBTB: I am working to upload the videos on YT and will post here soon, hopefully) of me feeding the pond, roughly 100lbs of feed is used per day for the MGC, the fry pictures please note the yellow coloration near the edges, the presence of a pronounced shoulder and head size relative to its body. Some mgc won't lose their barbels until they are roughly 1meter or 3ft but every true gigas above 4ft will lose their barbels without exception. I am currently trying to figure out if they simply just fall off with the ones in my backyard pond.

I have since removed the arapaima because they grew too big and are now living their best life in a tilapia pond.

The mother of the catfish being held by two of my staff, the fry from that specific fish is what I'm raising in my backyard recreation pond. The largest fry to 'adult' sized mgc I know of in all of Southeast Asia is 60kg. The largest known mgc in a conservation is 284kg in Thailand, the largest that I keep personally was 143kg when I weighed it a year ago. Most aquarists and indeed farmers do not have the means or can afford to feed the fish the amount they require to grow to their natural 150kg to 267kg (330lb to 588lbs) with 267kg being the biggest ive personally seen measuring at roughly 6ft long caught from the wild, tagged then released.

Based on rough fish food estimates from the ones in my backyard they are very content eating 10% of their body weight per day without showing signs of obesity. In the conservation pond, we fortunately have lots of plankton and algae coming in from an artificial dam connected to the mekong river we use to allow both constant water changes and maintain a steady food supply for our fish. Without being connected to the river I do not feasibly see another way of maintaining proper nutrition for these fish unless kept individually and powerfed in a giant aquarium setting.

Giant Siamese Barb. The Giant barb on the other hand is exponentially easier to keep. If someone is able to raise a koi, the giant barb is simply a bigger version that is shy if kept in groups less than 5. They require far less food than the mekong giant catfish and from what ive seen, giving them feed as opposed to letting them filter feed algae and plankton will only serve to make them grow faster. 1kg a month naturally versus 1.5-2kg a month if fed 45% protein diet. I've attached a video of me feeding the siamensis pond.

The white one I have (TBTB: see the YT video in the OP), I got zero clue how that came to be, I caught it in the pond one day and knew I just had to isolate it and keep it as a pet. I then proceeded to catch 3 more of its friends and put them with my arowana. In a years time I will move them to another bigger pond because its a dream of mine to see that fish reach 100kg in about five years' time. I caught the fish at 2kg (4.4lbs i think) and now its 13kg (29lbs?) since November 2022.

I have never seen siamensis grow slowly over hundreds of fish which is what really surprised me when I came across your Youtube originally. The largest one I know of is 232kg in Thailand and the largest I keep ive never weighed it but I would be completely unsurprised if it were 100kg+ or 220lbs+.

Always cool to meet fish people, very few in person. Hope you find this information entertaining at least. Let me know if you have any other questions im always down to talk fish
………………………………………..............................................................................

I had zero clue what MFK is but what a forum, lots of information there. I never bothered uploading anything because these fish are just ordinary to me and I have never thought of uploading to social media because the general public does not care about fish other than as food in my experience.

The mekong giant catfish and the barb are endangered fish, yes but they can still be found in the wild here in Cambodia. I've never bothered with forums but I will make an account because this could be fun. I wonder where this will go in the future. That said I'm always down to talk fish and am very interested, when I have more money I plan on raising the Giant freshwater stingray, my peers here already track and keep up with Borami the world's largest freshwater stingray measuring at 312kg or 350kg depending on season and food availability but nobody has ever kept one in an aquarium type setting to observe and monitor closely. That said the things take too long to grow and I fear my grandchildren will be continuing the studies for me as I won't live to see the stingray mature.

I've always wanted to keep golden dorados and goliath tigerfish but I cannot afford to do this, arowanas are the only carnivores I keep because they look pretty, bring good luck and their aggression is limited to insects, feeder sized fish and each other. Channa Micropeltes and Wyckii/Wyckioides are common here and their aggression is something to behold though the last two I mentioned seem to be a lot calmer in large pond settings with lots of other fish. Micropeltes on the other hand will rip fish the same size as it and under in half or eat them completely, they are a fearsome fish to me but I admittedly had a few as pets before they died of old age. I find your Youtube channel extraordinary as I go through it while writing this email and cannot imagine being able to keep all those fish in America.

I look forward to talking more, feel free to ask me anything about Southeast Asian fish. Im close friends with the guys in the Mekong River Commission so anything I dont know I will simply ask them.

…………………………………………................................................................................................

I saw you post another video that caught my eye immediately which was the update on your siamensis being rehomed. Also, ive gotten around to making an MFK account under the name "BigfishKH".

Since we last spoke, I have moved my siamensis and gigas into another significantly bigger 130,000gallon greenwater pond so that they can continue growing with the hopes of reaching 50lbs by mid 2025.

photo_2023-12-09_00-18-09.jpgphoto_2023-12-09_00-18-11.jpgphoto_2023-12-09_00-27-07.jpgphoto_2023-12-09_00-27-11.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Can you post the links to the videos? Thank you.
scheduled for tonight

Great study on the MGC, 13-year long!!!

Ikeya, K & M Kume, 2024. Thirteen-year monitoring reveals that Mekong giant catfish (Pangasianodon gigas) has an annual feeding rhythm and a prolonged fasting period. Ichthyological Research doi: 10.1007/s10228-023-00944-y.

Abstract

The Mekong giant catfish Pangasianodon gigas is endemic to the Mekong River and is one of the largest freshwater fish. This critically endangered species is a popular food for local people and a commercially essential fishery resource. Ecological knowledge of this catfish is required to conserve it. However, its ecology has not yet been well studied. We monitored the food intake of the Mekong giant catfish in a stable aquarium for over 13 years. We analyzed their feeding rhythms and fasting periods. The feeding rhythm (circannual rhythm) of the Mekong giant catfish over 13 years and its temporal variations were revealed. Four of the six catfish showed feeding cycles that extended more than one year (395.7 days). Five of the six catfish showed prolonged fasting periods over 30 consecutive days. These patterns coincide with the wet/dry seasons in Thailand, corresponding to the abundance of catfish food resources (Cladophora spp.). Furthermore, it is suggested that the Mekong catfish has acquired the physiological ability to tolerate a fasting state for about 1 year, possibly because this species may have survived many critical situations in the Mekong River in the past, such as food insufficiency. At the same time, however, this also indicates that the fish is highly dependent on Cladophora spp. as a food item and may not be able to substitute other food items. From these, reductions in food items or feeding habitats for catfish after damming in many places of the Mekong River basin may decrease the population size of this species.

Reactions: Backfromthedead
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store