madtom CaT

hmt321

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2006
Mobile, Alabama, United States
zpetrichko;3711110; said:
how big do they get? what could possibly be with one? what size tank is recommended?
there are a few different species, i have kept tadpole and speckled

both grew to approximately 3"

you can keep pretty much anything with them, most likely after you introduce the madtom you will never see it again. ( i do have regular sightings of a speckled i keep in my 75 gal warmouth tank, i feed just minutes before lights out and once a month or so i see it.) they would probably eat small fish, darters ect, if not regularly fed sinking foods.

I would not keep anything in less than a 10 gal tank

zpetrichko

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2009
NY
really? you think a 10 gallon would be alright for them? I have a 10 gallon filled with rosie feeders that my gram has taken to caring for! maybe i can con her out of it haha.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
got one from a feeder guppy tank once, and it was the most reclusive fish I've had, moreso than even the SA bumblee cats....really neat fish, but got attacked and killed by a tankmate unfortunately

kzimmerman

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
delmar md
have you nailed down a positive id? I know a fella that once caught one, stuck in his tank, and a few months later he had a 1' flathead catfish to deal with. When these cats are small, they can be hard to tell apart. i would look at fishbase, and make sure that's what you got. Otherwise, pretty much what was said above.

ChilDawg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2006
Byron, IL
Be careful you don't end up with a stonecat, either...those things grow at least thrice as long as every other madtom.

zpetrichko

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2009
NY
well i don't currently have one, however i was thinking about going with a smaller cat tank, right now i have 2 corries and a rapheal. I had a Banjo but my heater went on the fritz and the tank dropped down to 65' now i have 2 heaters and the tank is sitting pretty at about 77'

4wheelvfr

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2008
Southern Illinois
Try to get a positive ID on your madtom. Most are smaller, think 3-5 in, but the stonecat can get to about 12" I think. It will also eat anything that will fit in its mouth.

fisher12889

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Colorado
4wheelvfr;3730526; said:
Try to get a positive ID on your madtom. Most are smaller, think 3-5 in, but the stonecat can get to about 12" I think. It will also eat anything that will fit in its mouth.
He said he doesn't have one yet...

xspainx69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2007
Queens,NY
I have a speckled madtom and I barely see him...only time i know he's alive is during water changes lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store