Mag Float size L or M for 125g?

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Hey guys, bit of an odd question.

I wanna get the mag float scrapper for my 125g (hagen, standard dimensions). Should I go for the medium that works up to 125g, or the L that goes to 350g?

I'd want the stronger magnet, but are there any risks? I feel like if the M goes up to 125, it might not scrape as well at it's max capacity (kinda like how nobody uses exactly 1 FX6 for what it's rated for), but I wanna be sure I'm not risking anything going with the steonger mag float L?

Thanks!

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
I had a medium that I used on a 6 foot long, 135 gallon tank. At that point I already had the medium size for a 90 gallon and it worked well enough on the 135 that I wasn't going to buy another just for that size of tank.
Maybe had I owned no scraper, different story; I might have gone for the large if I had to buy one anyways.

Trouser Bark

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
There will come a day when you bump the inner magnet just right against something in the tank and it pops off. As it sinks to the bottom your hand will reflexively race toward it w/ the magnet you have a grip on.

When the attraction becomes great enough you'll hear and feel a BLAM! as the two come back together and it'll be hard enough that you'll look to see if there's a crack in the glass.

The trick is to run a piece of thread connecting the inner and outer pieces as the stronger the magnet you buy; the more likely it is that an uncontrolled reattachment of inner and outer pieces will pose a problem.

Buy the big one and don't race. Use the thread.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store