Mahseer, Tor, and Neolissochilus at Fish Story

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Our red mahseer 15", 2-3 yo, from Wesley Wong via Mike shookONES shookONES :

Super red with yellow cheek are from Terengganu state, Malaysia. 2nd grade super red from north of Perak state. These 2 places only worthy of reds. Other places not so much, they can be from pinkish to greyish color.

Yours need to be sourced out, if they were from Malaysia with that color, they can either be farm Pahang state juveniles or empurau mahseer from borneo.

I could suggest placed them mahseers in the koi pond so they can get enough sunlight & the pond are dark enough to bring out their colors. Perhaps.

I saw 1 of your sinensis have that symmetrically wide body which I adore in mahseers. Does it show when you first got it? Or the shape changes as it grow. I'm searching for the same body shape, looks solid.

• Love
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you for the great info from a well informed local, GFK, as always. We appreciate you.

I will plan to transfer the two red mahseer into the 25K when they get 1.5-2 feet. Otherwise, they may be gulped down too easily by predators in that tank.

Yes, the tall Tor sinensis we bought from Wesley Wong about 3 years ago. It came tall bodied like that at 4"-5" (you can see it in the earlier videos when it was small in 240 gal tanks). It is now around the same 15". The other sinensis is from Mike Shookones, now a bit longer, about 17", likely too came originally from Wesley Wong or Ray Chan. Mike could tell us shookONES shookONES but he is rarely active these days. Wes almost never chimes in in threads anymore, so you can ask Wes by email where he got that tall bodied sinensis and how many he had vs the more cigar shaped ones and whether it is a matter of source or they come mixed.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
What’s up Viktor! I was actually just looking for your email to check up on things!

Fish are looking great! Are we open for business yet? I’d love to come see everything in person

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hi Mike!! Our contact info is on our website www.fish-story.com. No, not open yet to public at large, struggling with the municipal permitting since May 2021 and so far no end in sight.

MFKers and especially you of all people need not wait for the general opening. Always welcome by appointment and free of charge and can count on individual attention and personal tour and Q & A.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Eleven nightly meals served in the 25,000 gal / 100,000 liter. Hard to see the dark mahseer but there is some footage. Especially where one of the 2ft putitora inhaled a too big a herring head first and needed to convulse and jerk around to spit it out. They do this regularly - overestimate their ability and then have to abort the consumption of herring. Sometimes even splash me good in the process.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Six mahseer growouts, 10"-12", go from 240 gal to 1800 gal. Worried about possible predation by dat perches and tig catfish in the 1800 gal. Hesitated 3 months. Pulled the trigger. So far alright. Six feedings included in the vid.

-- 2x Tor malabaricus. One looks right, similar to our adult malabaricus. The other looks "generic", most common mahseer, like douronensis, soro, etc.
-- 2x Tor tambroides. The smallest of the 6. So far also looks "generic".
-- 1x Tor douronensis. From Jeff Rapps.
-- 1x Spinibarbus hollandii. Taiwan mahseer.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Slightly out of chronological order. The Spinibarbus hollandii aka Taiwan mahseer had a slight problem with some tuft hanging off his dorsal, which we treated with potassium permanganate successfully. All of this had happened still in the 240 gal, shortly before the transfer to the 1800 gal:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
One of the 6 newcomer mahseer in the 1800 gal is proving to be courageous and hungry. I think this is the 10" douronensis we bought from Jeff Rapps just before he sold his business.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store