Maintenance on Wolf / Aimara Tank - Tips? / Co Hab Pointers

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
so he was in the far corner just now peering into the cichlid tank... moved this magnet 14” down, he zoomed over to gill flair -

i think i just got a killer ?

A75F5CC5-DAC2-4B54-A48E-2CB563C13C0B.jpeg

C9BF7FBF-2DDB-4E8E-9FEE-56F084B471AF.jpeg

74989A3C-C3A5-46FB-86AF-E7D3252F25FD.jpeg

Attachments

Reactions: fishtankphil

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
From my understanding in order to have a community setup with an aimara it needs to be kept in that type of setting from the get go. Adding fish in with them afterwards will most likely end in vain. I have yet to keep one but bave kept lacerdae of which i presently have now, my 2nd one, and have no issues with him at all.

Reactions: dr exum

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
From my understanding in order to have a community setup with an aimara it needs to be kept in that type of setting from the get go. Adding fish in with them afterwards will most likely end in vain. I have yet to keep one but bave kept lacerdae of which i presently have now, my 2nd one, and have no issues with him at all.
he’s in with a pleco , should have had some silver dollars in there with him - ive got an excess of severums- i’ll probably test the waters with some of those....

i was hoping him and my jar could co exist as they are / can be both kinda of dicks...

Reactions: fishtankphil

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
kevlar gloves just came -

not super excited -

i suppose they hopefully prevent tearing flesh ?

AB8F6399-F026-4BA0-B467-2C5CA4EA57A5.jpeg

F76CBF7E-7C5A-4561-8F19-DAC762AF6C60.jpeg

Reactions: Deadeye

wolffishlover

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 24, 2010
usa
anything that's not semi rigid will be useless. I wouldn't use those in the tank with my 10 inch black. you can legit see their teeth haha. they don't conceal the "I have a mouth full of knifes"

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Those look similar to the gloves I wear at work as part of my required PPE; they are amazingly resistant to cuts but they are pretty useless to protect against punctures. A bite will hurt, especially a bite-and-shake.

To put things into some perspective...this is a 10-inch fish, not a 10-foot Siberian Tiger. There is not too much decor in that tank. It's not difficult to make an opaque divider attached to a handle, isolate the fish in one end while cleaning the other, and then reverse. Make sure the fish-containing half is kept covered during the operation.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Those look similar to the gloves I wear at work as part of my required PPE; they are amazingly resistant to cuts but they are pretty useless to protect against punctures. A bite will hurt, especially a bite-and-shake.

To put things into some perspective...this is a 10-inch fish, not a 10-foot Siberian Tiger. There is not too much decor in that tank. It's not difficult to make an opaque divider attached to a handle, isolate the fish in one end while cleaning the other, and then reverse. Make sure the fish-containing half is kept covered during the operation.
opaque divider with handle - i like it - was using egg crate -

it’s the alge - want to scrub it so much ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store