Major system crash-- no idea why

Hypancistrus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2005
USA
I came home from work today to find two of my most prized predators dead... my african brown knife, a 6" fish I've had for over three years, and my 5" pictus catfish, who I've had for slightly less than three years. The rest of my fish-- two severums, 5" a piece, a nandus, 4", a senegal bichir juvie, 4", and three silver dollars at 3-4" all look like death warmed over. The only one that seems unaffected is my African butterfly. I tested the water parameters. Ammonia and trites are at zero, and trates were around 50, which is normal for a Friday (water change day). Temp is stable 76 degrees as always. The tank is a 75 gallon, with plants.

I can't for the life of me figure out what the hell went wrong. All the fish were perfectly active and happy on Wednesday when I fed them their live blackworms and sinking pellets, and now two are dead and five others look about ready to join them.

I changed NOTHING in the tank, there are no marks on any of the fish, nor had I added any live food other than worms recently. I did a 40% water change, and am going to try another in about two hours.

What else can I do?? What went wrong? The only thing I can think is that last night I did two loads of laundry without realizing that the hose on my dryer had come partially detached. I only noticed it when I walked down into my basement (which is my combo fish and herp room) and the temp was way warmer than usual. This is the ONLY thing I can think of....

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I would wager a nitrate peak.

Hypancistrus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2005
USA
Nitrates are normally around 50 on Friday's. Have been for the three years I've had the tank running.

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
you said live black worms, could they have been infected with something?

50 isn't all that high, higher then I would like, but I challenge someone to find me 1 proof positive nitrate death when the trates where bellow 80.

pH with nitrates at a constent 50 is very good guess, trates form an acid which can drop pH over time. If your water is soft and you have had 50 trates for 3 years the pH might be very low.

sammy5772

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2007
Auckland, New Zealand
Ive had a perfectly healthy angelfish in a tanks that had been running for a year die with nitrates at 40.

cassharper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Mansfield, Texas
hey hyp! Fancy seeing you round these parts.

I doubt it was nitrate poisoning, considering some keepers (see the nitrates thread) think it's ok to keep their tanks between 50-60 all the time.

If the room was a little warmer maybe a drop in O2 content?

pdbrady

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2006
Springfield, MO
Do you run carbon? Is there any chance something could have floated into the tank? Anything aerosol, like air freshener, for example. Maybe put a hand in the tank with something on it, like lotion. If so, and you don't run carbon, those are possibilities.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store