Making my room better

arlo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2006
Rowland Heights
my room now:

what i plan to do:

copying this guy :) http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28412

just found out how to post pics without a link.

anyways, do u think it will hold? im going to have only canister filtration for the jardini tank. i already have a h.o.t. magnum that has a rate of 250 gph and im going to buy a powerhead. what are some of the best canister filters i can buy?

dannyboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2006
Adelaide
i think it should hold, it loots like you are having the supports two rows thick, i would probably liquid nail them together to make it more secure. Only problem is that makes it more permanent

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
anyways, do u think it will hold? im going to have only canister filtration for the jardini tank. i already have a h.o.t. magnum that has a rate of 250 gph and im going to buy a powerhead. what are some of the best canister filters i can buy?

In the past, I have tried to help people from doing dumb things just because they saw someone else post a picture of what they did. The free engineering shop has closed due to the pompous know-it-alls such as Dannyboy in the above post. You, however, are putting yourself at risk of killing yourself or someone near to you.

Your plans are to put a large tank six feet up on unsupported cinder blocks with interuptions caused by the 4x4's, all within a few feet where you sleep. First educate yourself about wood. Go to your local Home Depot and look at the 4x4's, 2x4's, and 2x6's that they have. Pick one up and look down its length. Not only will you see some warpage, you will see a lot of twisting. If not in that one, you will find it in many in that stack. (The Home Depot has some of the worst wood anywhere.) As wood dries, it twists and warps even more as dictated by the grain and growth. Pine is worse than hardwoods. This is the stuff that can be the success or failure of your stand. It is also what your floor is likely made of. Your floor is designed to handle 250 lb per square ft of loading across its entire surface. This is not point loading but integral. You are going to basically point load areas of your floor. If your blocks are not placed over joists, the deflection in the subfloor may cause the tanks to topple. That will be a bad thing if you are asleep.

Additionally, I have a stand that has three twenty gallon tanks stacked. The stand is on double padded carpet over a concrete slab. The stand is rock solid, as is the concrete slab. The empty stand is so heavy that I can not move it by myself and it now has 498 pounds of water on it. I can shake the stand with one hand because of the carpet and padding. Yes they compress, but they are still there, willing to compress more. (Your car is on springs that are compressed. If you sit on the hood of your car, the springs will compress even more.)

If you choose to go ahead with this, first make a stack of blocks with wood interuptions on your driveway or other hard surface. Make it as tall as what you plan to build. Next, stand on the stack to test its stability. If you actually do this and stand on it, the hard surface is to knock some sense into you when you fall :naughty:

Additionally, the saltwater people will cringe if you have a SW tank that is smaller than 55g.

Any questions? Just ask. I have a lot going on right now though.

FlammingWoodChuck

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2005
California
I have to agree. It is a good idea but not pratical. Stands work beacuse the pressure of our tanks is speard out over a big surface. haveing 3 main points would put alot of stress on the ground in those areas. Also if it happens to have any flaws at all, like chompers said, u or sum1 else may die or get injured. Maybe re think your desing a lil bit and test it as Chompers said. and if u were to do that it would be waaaaaaaaaaaay too top heavy. and wobble at all might cause it to come crashing down. Also u have to figure out how much your floor can support and if it is level. I could never do this in my room cuz i have a slight slant for sum reason to one side of the room. Also chompers makes a good point with the wood. It is all usually warped and twisted. Sum questions u should try to find out is..

How much can cinder block support?
How steardy are cydler block stacked?
How much is the tank going to weigh?

the 55g on cydler blocks works cuz its not as high off the ground and it doesnt weigh as much. Guessing from my closet i would say yours is sumwhere between 6'8-7' and in your drawing u have the tank up higher then that.:eek: that wouldnt be very safe. I hope this helps with your desicion and how u are going to re do your room

Oh btw do u have any pix of how your sump works?? If u do could u plz PM me and ill give u my email address. I am planning on building one soon and want to get ideas :D

arlo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2006
Rowland Heights
o sht! i was gonna just go home and build that sucker. the only reason i came back to this post was to ask how much cinderblocks usually go for. is there any way i can re-arrange my plans so it would actually work? like maybe have the heavier tank towards the bottom and 10 and the 30 on th top? sht sht sht! i didnt realize how dangerous it could of been :grinno:

arlo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2006
Rowland Heights
the deflection in the subfloor may cause the tanks to topple
i dont think i have a sub-floor. what is a subfloor???

arlo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2006
Rowland Heights

could this work?
i would put the jardini tank in where the redtail boa tank is right now

of course i wouldnt use the same stand :naughty:
and that tank below it would be gone because its just what im using to keep the jardini in as a baby. i appreciate the advice

arlo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2006
Rowland Heights
forget about the canister filter question. i already know how im gonna filter the tank. and does anyone know how much cinderblocks cost?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store