Making sure Pleco's get enough Food

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
I tried the zucchini 2 days ago after lights out, and my pair of synspilum absolutely destroyed it. This time i am going to wait a bit longer after lights out before putting it in, say an hour or so

Brent419

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2014
Toledo OH
zucchini always works well for me. The silver dollars have their fill but there is always enough left over for Hurley (my large common... Yes named after the dude from Lost). I tried the wafers but they dont even make it to the bottom of the tank without getting eaten by other fish - even well after lights out. I bent a length of wire shirt hanger to fit over the edge of tank and then bent it to loop up mid-way down the tank. then I stab a large chunk of zucchini and slide it down. It holds in place until just about all gone. I used to rubber band to a rock and toss it in... Then when I got tired of reaching down to the bottom of the tank to get it out, I tied a piece of paracord to it so I could "fish it out" easily. Wasnt thinking that any length hanging over the outside of the tank creates a wick!! My wife caught the mistake and screamed before the puddle got too big!!!

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
Well I also use pvc pipe to target pellets into caves instead of putting my hands into the tank. I second the grow your own algae idea. If your fish are destroying veggies, growing your own might be a good idea. The plecos shouldn't have competition with that. You could also try something like seaweed. Wrap it into the inside of a pipe or cave to where he is the only one going on and scraping it up. I don't use seaweed and don't know how healthy it is, but I know others use it to supplement plecos

Also with the veggie idea, I personally add 2, 6 inch chunks for my tank. It's normally too much for any fish to completely steal but still gets completely eaten within 24 hours

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
I have tried zucchini twice now. The first time my synspilum completed destroyed it and ate it. The second time. When I went to check on it about 15 mins after putting it in the tank I came and found the whole piece of it inside one of my salmontail catfish's mouth >.<

Reactions: Shenanigans

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
Impressive, most of the time a large chunk like that gets spit out as an insulting mistake

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store