Malaysian trumpet snails

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I go along with the positive statements above. The population can get large if you overfeed. The population will stay reasonable if their food supply is not excessive.

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc
These are great scavengers with a super hard shell. Once I place them in a tank I can never get rid of them. Next time around I wouldn't add them. Even cross contamination with nets from tank to tank has resulted in the pop up of new snails in tanks that never had them. Just fair warnings.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Cookie*

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Northern NJ
mocoloco.com
Having had tanks with snails and no snails, there's pros and cons to both. If all you're looking to do is stir up the sand a bit, I probably wouldn't get snails. Like others mentioned; once you add them it can be hard to get rid of them, and to keep them from spreading to other tanks via nets, plants, filters and ornaments. I currently am using assassin snails in each tank to hopefully eradicate everything but the assassin snails. In a perfect world/tank, I'd have not added snails. My reason for adding them was the snails did a alright job on algae on the glass and they were pretty/interesting to watch. Now that all my tanks are overrun with them, and I have a breeding tank I want to keep snail-free but cannot, I regret getting them.

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc
Loaches never totally eradicate the snail problem. Look in your filters, I bet there are a ton in there. I've tried the loaches, but they were not so effective. Green spot puffers worked well, but I had to remove all stock and the snails eventually came back. Once you have mts, you have them until the tanks dried out. IMO good permanent scavengers.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cdrake261

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2013
Nashville, IN
Same thing I was thinking, never seen them at any of the LFS or chain stores (petco, petsmart) around here...

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I called Inland Aquatics, they told me $4...I suspect they mistake what I wanted for a different snail. I'm thinking of heading to inland aquatics to get some fish, if wife and kids don't go, you want to carpool up?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store