male and female giant gourami

onetouch2many

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
London
i have a male and female giant gourami. recently, the male has been getting very aggressive towards the female. I feel as though it would be best for the female if I rehome one of them and Im having a hard time deciding which to keep. they are very close in age and size, but their body shape is quite different. the male is about 12" and the female is about 10". my male has a much taller body and is more round in shape, the females body shape looks like the males, only squished down. the other big difference is that the female is already starting to get that bulging lip look and the male, although larger, has pointier lips still.

Is this a common difference between males and females?

I really like the bulging lip look, but cant understand why the females are the the males are not.

Perhaps not all giant gourami get the fat face and lips and some stay much more proportioned?

I think thats one of the things that originally turned me on to this fish. The first one I ever saw was a full grown, 20 year old specimen and he had very exaggerated features. massive lips and googly eyes.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Bump, same question?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store