male or female green terror?

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
You're right about them being slow growers. At least they have been for me. I cropped your photo and included it here. Notice that the amount of blue near the back of the gill plate is quite extensive, just like females that I have. Compare the two pictures, yours first, then mine.

View attachment 961227

View attachment 961228
Agreed. Males usually don't exhibit the blue bearding that the females do. Here is my old male Gold Saum that I sold shortly after taking this picture. He was roughly that same size as your GT in this photo (3-3.5"). At the time, I was power feeding him hard w/ aggressive water changes. I was able to get pretty fast growth out of him for a GT.

image.jpg

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Sexing my GT threads come up every couple weeks, because juvenile GTs are hard to sex. I currently have 4 male and 3 female breeding size GTs raised from my third generation fry. Young GTs have no external sex difference so there is no signature feature you can use to pick out the sex. At sexual maturity, which can be as small as 4 inch, females can turn darker showing a black beard on the chin, and accentuating two vertical white stripes on the body. Males do not turn dark and stay brightly colored at all time. But dominant females not in breeding dress can be as brightly colored as males. I was mistaken several females as males until one day they turned dark and dropped the egg tube. IME, juvenile GT males do not out grow females until they hit the 4 inch mark as I sort out the largest juvenile from the same batch thinking they would be majority males. Wrong, the sex ratio turned out to be about 50/50 as they matured. Once passing the 4 inch mark, sexing them get easier as males will begin to outgrow females, develop a steeper forehead, and outshines females in color.

The OP GT shows a black beard on the chin so it looks like a female, but it is still too small to tell as an unhappy male can look like a female.

Mr. Red

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2013
Parsons, KS
ye i notice the bearding seems to be the same and if thats the case ig i have 4 females...ig ill have to just wait and c wat happens

Luc Tan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2011
Singapore
hi there,

sorry to hijack the thread. just wondering, do male green terrors beat up female green terrors prior to mating?

Luc

Master Wilkins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Vancouver B.C.
hi there,

sorry to hijack the thread. just wondering, do male green terrors beat up female green terrors prior to mating?

Luc
Yes they do (in a sense) they have a very aggressive mating ritual and its not unheard of for a male to kill the female during mating.

Everybody needs to stop looking at the nuchal hump and the stripes on its forehead and start looking at the fins. This is a juvenile green terror he is asking us to sex. The hump only shows up on adult fish.

Sorry for the picture quality, my fish almost never keep still.

IMG_2341.JPGIMG_2342.JPG
Here are my green terrors. Notice how pointy the big ones anal and dorsal fins are? That is the quintessential sign of a male fish. Notice the other fish in the bottom right corner of the picture? See how rounded both of the fins are? That is the quintessential sign of a female fish.

IMG_2341.JPG

IMG_2342.JPG

Luc Tan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2011
Singapore
Thanks Wilkins.

my two terrors are what you have described, one with pointed fins ( lets call it A) and the other does not (B). they do bear similar "beardings" though. A likes to beat B up, but B likes to get near to A. so I am kinda confused if they are a pair or a male male combi. both are about 3 inches.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
If they are a pair, they will shake head at each other. Pointed fins to sex male is only apparent when the fish is 4 inch and larger, but so are other signs like brighter color, larger size and steeper forehead. I haven't observed much wife beating, but more hubby beating if the male is not big enough to handle the female. Female can be pushy if the male is not ready.

Reactions: maxefforts77

Master Wilkins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Vancouver B.C.
If they are a pair, they will shake head at each other. Pointed fins to sex male is only apparent when the fish is 4 inch and larger, but so are other signs like brighter color, larger size and steeper forehead. I haven't observed much wife beating, but more hubby beating if the male is not big enough to handle the female. Female can be pushy if the male is not ready.

In my experience, using the pointy fins to sex is foolproof. I have personally picked out many from pet stores under two inches by sex using the fin method and have been right every time. In fact the two that I posted were bought by me at 1.5" and I knew that one was male and one female.

Look at manu8_too's post of his "male gold Saum" he said it was 3"-3.5" long at the time of the picture. That is without a doubt a male GT and by your advice still too small to sex by one full inch.

Reactions: maxefforts77
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store