Male or female gt

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
One of the main characteristic of males, are the oblique bluish lines in the unpaired fins, in females the lines are shorter, and at time not visible at all.
I edited your pic to get a better view.
fullsizeoutput_1b5e.jpeg
It looks male to me, although you don't say what size it is, and if it is young, these markings may change. The head profile is also somewhat masculine.

Divyansh133

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2019
One of the main characteristic of males, are the oblique bluish lines in the unpaired fins, in females the lines are shorter, and at time not visible at all.
View attachment 1392658
It looks male to me, although you don't say what size it is, and if it is young, these markings may change. The head profile is also somewhat masculine.
Thanks for help.Its almost 4-5 inches and 2-3 months old

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
View attachment 1392658
After some research on the web, it seems that only female GT have white vertical bars/stripes on their bodies.. Can any GT keepers verify this?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
After some research on the web, it seems that only female GT have white vertical bars/stripes on their bodies.. Can any GT keepers verify this?
My male GT at 4-5" total length showed those lines. He was the lowest cichlid in the totem pole, so he showed sub-dominant coloration of females.

IMG_4323_zpsd69f5a2f.jpgIMG_4323_zpsd69f5a2f.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

townechambers

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2021
Yeah it’s kind of my thought too I said no if there is anyone out there who is an expert at sexing young Gt

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store