Male or Female?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I bought it for the harem but then when i started realizing my 1M; 6F was actually 3M; 3F; 1 unknown, i sold the other 2 males and held onto this one. I'm really thinking it's a male, and it has a lousy attitude - hates my new Red Terror Festae - but still doesn't have the trailers on the fins like my big dominant male JD in the 125g, so what do you guys think?

STT_2436.JPG STU_2437.JPG

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
It's around 5"- 6"...i would have expected sexing to be much easier once i grew it out a bit, it still has characteristics from both sexes, IMO
It does appear to have more blue than average male but not as much as a female at least not ones I've kept. I'd just wait till it pairs with someone or move it with an individual whose sex you are sure of.

Reactions: Frank Castle

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Your photos are very dark, and the tint is grey, so I lightened them up a it, but its still hard to tell. A well lit photo (not edited light like I did) would really help. The jaw is a very important place to show in a photo for gender ID of JDs.fullsizeoutput_2ab.jpegfullsizeoutput_2aa.jpeg

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Your photos are very dark, and the tint is grey, so I lightened them up a it, but its still hard to tell. A well lit photo (not edited light like I did) would really help. The jaw is a very important place to show in a photo for gender ID of JDs.View attachment 1228505View attachment 1228506
lol i'm sorry duanes duanes , I got some fresh pics of him earlier today - here ya go
STK_2511.JPG STP_2516.JPG

MC4RKiller

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
VA
I think it is female...I am basing this on the blue on the gill plates and the fins. Females I have kept in the past looked very much like this one. In males at this size the dorsal would be more pointed and there would be less blue to the gills and more blue to the body.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I think it is female...I am basing this on the blue on the gill plates and the fins. Females I have kept in the past looked very much like this one. In males at this size the dorsal would be more pointed and there would be less blue to the gills and more blue to the body.
That's exactly what I thought, but when I had them in harems of 1M; 3F; 1 unsexed - the one pictured constantly got chased by my large male and he never showed any type of aggression to the 3 females. Why would he single out the largest female? Makes no sense.

MC4RKiller

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
VA
Could be incompatible...or a "sleeper" male. I have known folks to keep herems of Jags before and have a male that looked very female until quite large. Does not seem to be that uncommon especially if the obvious male is very dominant.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store