Male peacock gudgeon dying?

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
I’m doing it more for fun and experience seeing as breeding fish would be a good thing to know if you want to own a fish store, worse comes to worse just put the peacock gudgeons in my community tank

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
Never ever do it with just money in mind. Remember, to make any money you must compete with wholesale. That means fish 1/3 or a 1/4 of what you see in shops, and the local market is only so big. Maybe an LFS will take them from you but it'd be difficult to make it profitable.

To open a fish store I'd say start studying some marketing, business and everything you'll need. If you know that securing capital will be easier and it could be better to start :)

Believe me, if you're 14 it'd be better to just sit and enjoy the hobby! I'm a tad older and I just sell odds and ends (usually plants) to help save for this or that. Too much business and it isn't as much fun. Good luck in your ventures :D
Well I think it's good to know how to breed fish if you will open a fish store, worse comes to worse and nobody wants them I'll just add them into my 29 gallon

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
Never ever do it with just money in mind. Remember, to make any money you must compete with wholesale. That means fish 1/3 or a 1/4 of what you see in shops, and the local market is only so big. Maybe an LFS will take them from you but it'd be difficult to make it profitable.

To open a fish store I'd say start studying some marketing, business and everything you'll need. If you know that securing capital will be easier and it could be better to start :)

Believe me, if you're 14 it'd be better to just sit and enjoy the hobby! I'm a tad older and I just sell odds and ends (usually plants) to help save for this or that. Too much business and it isn't as much fun. Good luck in your ventures :D
Well I think it's good to know how to breed fish if you will open a fish store, worse comes to worse and nobody wants them I'll just add them into my 29 gallon

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Unfortunately it's usually easier to just buy them in. Breeding enough for a store is a steep task in many cases :(

Audaxcity

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2018
Canada
If you breed for money, gudgeons aren't the best to start out with as you've noticed. They aren't exactly prolific, or sell for a lot.

Fancy guppies and central american cichlids can be much more prolific and sell for a good bit too. If you are really interested, discus will really bring in moola if you have several breeding pairs at once. Though as others have said, thats still a long way from opening a store.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store