Managuense is gone, these are the additions.

ctateo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2006
Flushing, NY
After not getting any takers for my 10 inch managuense, I "donated" it to an LFS near me.

Picked up this "super red" severum relatively cheap because he was a bit banged up. Should be gorgeous once it heals and colors up. Suggestion on foods are welcome.

Also got this JD, which Iooks slightly "long finned" but not freakishly so. Again, his tail fin needs to come back a bit.

20200617_162756.jpg

20200617_163755.jpg

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
After not getting any takers for my 10 inch managuense, I "donated" it to an LFS near me.

Picked up this "super red" severum relatively cheap because he was a bit banged up. Should be gorgeous once it heals and colors up. Suggestion on foods are welcome.

Also got this JD, which Iooks slightly "long finned" but not freakishly so. Again, his tail fin needs to come back a bit.

View attachment 1422184

View attachment 1422185
Looks like a normal male JD to me, just looks like he had his tail bitten a bit. He was probably not the tank boss and got beaten up a lil. Still some nice looking fish ya picked up there, they'll look even better once they fully heal. Keep us posted on how they turn out, I'd love to see how they look once they're fully healed and settled in.

Reactions: Cichlids-r-beasts

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC

View attachment 1422184

View attachment 1422185
Nice pick ups.
I try to offer my reds a mix. A good staple pellet and something with spirulina.
I also feed some dried krill now and then it really brings up the color.
I also feed zucchini because of plecos in the tank, but I’ve found that the severum really like it as well.
Maybe one feeding every other week I will offer some chopped shrimp and tilapia. Not to often, I try to keep the bulk of the severum diet towards the vegetable side.
The jack will love the meaty stuff as well.

ctateo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2006
Flushing, NY
That tank currently has 2 smaller oscars I had added to divert the managuense aggression a bit. With the managuense gone, the larger got rather aggressive. Half the severumssize but kept trying to ram him. The jd went at it with him. The other Oscar is more docile.
I'm going to bring the larger oscar back to the LFS and get a replacement for my green terror (a new green terror).

Ill have the following if I do that.... Severum, Oscar, gt, 3 convicts, banded leporinus, 2 plecos and a single silver dollar. Is having more convicts in there better? I'm more inclined to add 3-5 additional silver dollars and be done with stocking for hopefully a few years..

Its a 150 gallon tank(72")

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
That tank currently has 2 smaller oscars I had added to divert the managuense aggression a bit. With the managuense gone, the larger got rather aggressive. Half the severumssize but kept trying to ram him. The jd went at it with him. The other Oscar is more docile.
I'm going to bring the larger oscar back to the LFS and get a replacement for my green terror (a new green terror).

Ill have the following if I do that.... Severum, Oscar, gt, 3 convicts, banded leporinus, 2 plecos and a single silver dollar. Is having more convicts in there better? I'm more inclined to add 3-5 additional silver dollars and be done with stocking for hopefully a few years..

Its a 150 gallon tank(72")
I would be careful not to get males and females together when it comes to the convicts. Once they start breeding they will take over the whole tank and try to kill anything they see as a threat to the eggs/young. I've lost a few fish to this happening before and it was not fun at all. If ya do decide to get more convicts just make certain they are all the same gender to help reduce their aggression.

Personally I would go with more SD's rather then convicts. SD's are so much chiller even when it comes to breeding, only ever had 1 incident with the ones I had and it was honestly the convict that started it. The con kept picking on the largest SD untill it finally had enough and lip locked with the con and broke his bottom jaw with a single bite. It definitely put the con in his place for a while tho so I guess it wasn't all bad. And yes the con did have his jaw heal after a few weeks.

ctateo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2006
Flushing, NY
I am loving how energetic this little guy is. Fearless and inquisitive he roams the entire tank.

2 convicts have paired up and claimed a center of the tank cave as theirs. No real issues with any other fish, who know to keep clear except for the leporinus. He repeatedly goes to and stays in their spot until the two begin nipping at his sides. It becomes a 3 fish tornado until the leporinus eventually darts off.

My worry isn't for the leporinus, he's 9 inches long..... I'm more worried that he'll land a bite or nip in return and damage one of the convicts... With the size difference it could be major damage.

20200622_154049.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store