Mangroves in Aquariums

William Mewbbb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2017
Hi Guys, just curious. Is it possible to grow plants like Australian Mangroves in an Aquarium?
Thought it would go really well with my Mangrove Jack.
Cheers :)

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
A member here once had a mudskipper scape which im almost sure had some type of mangroove plant(s) growing in it...

So i will go out on a limb and say yes its possible in the right setup...

Reactions: tlindsey

hart24601

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2015
Most people have issues with them eventually in saltwater as they are a bit tricker than many suspect. They need to be misted with RO water frequently as they expel salt - it's how they live in saltwater. They also need very strong lighting that is really dedicated just to them, not to the tank because tank fixtures tend to be lower (tall plant gets too much heat on the leaves) and not have a wide spread that hits the plant evenly.

It is totally do-able in SW, just many don't have the right setup or care.

Sorry I don't know the FW care of them...

#.$

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2017
Texas
I was just thinking about adding red mangroves to fw set up. I'm sure it's possible I will follow up on this lol.

Reactions: William Mewbbb

wfex4

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2008
Cape Coral, Fl
It's possible to keep them in freshwater. I have maybe 10 or so that I water with aquarium wastewater. I used to grow them out of a hang on back filter with the cartridge removed. I broke down that tank which is the only reason I moved them to a glass container on a windowsill.

Reactions: Chicxulub

William Mewbbb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2017
It's possible to keep them in freshwater. I have maybe 10 or so that I water with aquarium wastewater. I used to grow them out of a hang on back filter with the cartridge removed. I broke down that tank which is the only reason I moved them to a glass container on a windowsill.
Hey Mate, Thanks for the reply.
is there anything you could give in terms of advice?
Any specific temperatures or treatment?
Cheers.

wfex4

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2008
Cape Coral, Fl
Hey Mate, Thanks for the reply.
is there anything you could give in terms of advice?
Any specific temperatures or treatment?
Cheers.
Not too much advice really. I keep my house between 76-78 but as long as you avoid freezing you should be alright. It rarely gets below 60 degrees here in South Florida and we occasionally get a frost warning every other year or so. Just try to keep some water on the roots, some light on them, and they should be alright.

Reactions: Chicxulub
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store