Marble Datnoids?

AnDr3w

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2006
Davie, FL
Are they really aggressive? Are they rare like the widebars or can someone give me some info on them? I saw them for 20 bucks. Good deal?

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
They're likely Nandus, which aren't actually datnoids but resemble datnoids.

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/speciesSummary.php?ID=10260&genusname=Nandus&speciesname=nandus

BTW, most people who've kept Nandus indicate that the max size (8 inches) listed in fishbase is too large. Most don't get much larger than 4-5 inches in captivity.

Behaviorally, they resemble datnoids. They aren't aggressive. Also, they're purportedly more difficult to get weaned off feeders than are datnoids. I've kept them in the past, but my endlicheri bichir ate them. :(

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Nandus are cool, I would like one. The colors aren't as striking as the Dats though.

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
ewurm;741233; said:
Nandus are cool, I would like one. The colors aren't as striking as the Dats though.
Speaking nandidly, I would have to agree with you on the coloration not being as striking as Datnioides. :D

vanimate

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Chicago ŅŞ
icthyophile;741263; said:
Speaking nandidly, I would have to agree with you on the coloration not being as striking as Datnioides. :D
:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

soulFish

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
Tampa, FL
I have a 5" Nandus Nandus in with the Dats. He mostley sits in the plants or under rocks. He only swims during the night and late evenings. He's completley MELLOW. Now I even have a Leopard Cep. about 3.5" and they just sit around all day in the same hole together. He doesnt even swim when food is dropped in. He waits for it to swim up to him then he eats it.

widebar22.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store