Marble Growth Rate?

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Thinking of getting one, love the patterns. Never saw any that smaller than 15" in lfs. What's growth rate on these fish? How well they do with other tank mates?

Reactions: Ash_water

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Are u referring to P. Aethiopicus or P. Annetcens? Doesn't matter much either way for temperment/tank mates. But in my experience P. Aethiopicus grows fairly quickly for a lung and P. Annetcens grows rather slow. I had P. Annetcens for almost 10 yrs. In that time it grew from 10" to 33"..... Currently have P. Aethiopicus and its grown from 6" to 20" in just over 1 year. Aethiopicus also max out at 5-6' where as P. Annetcens only reaches around 3'.

As for tank mates...keep them with anything u dont mind losing. They have jaws like a snapping turtle and can cut fish almost surgically when there bigger. Most often there best kept alone. My P. aethiopicus has no tank mates. The P. Annetcens was housed in typical "monster" communities and would kill a few fish every year as he wished. He cookie cuttered 12-14" cichlids at will and did not like any bottom dwelling fish at all... Lungs will also kill each other most the time also.

If you want a "community" lung fish the south american lung is the only one recommended to house with tank mates.

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Sorry for bumping. Which one do you find more attractive, albino aethiopicus or normal aethiopicus? I notice albino doesn't have that marbling pattern, so it could be less attractive. Opinions?

ReApEr666

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2018
Sorry for bumping. Which one do you find more attractive, albino aethiopicus or normal aethiopicus? I notice albino doesn't have that marbling pattern, so it could be less attractive. Opinions?
most all the albino p. aethiopicus still have pattern as juvies...mine is at 26" and still holding a marbled pattern. Its a bit melanistic/lutino so i think itell keep some dark pigment throughout its life. There are some platinum looking ones more white but most of what ive seen available have pattern/pigment. May just be we get the lower grade albinos here in the states tho. And to answer ur question... albino all the way in my opinion.

Reactions: GiantFishKeeper101
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store