Marbled lung fish with tankmates

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
My LFS has this 12-14 lung fish... it has been in the tank about 2 months

In the tank is a bichir about same size as lung fish, a pleco, some eartheaters and some other small fish

Tank size is about 4ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft I estimate

The LFS owner claims the marble lung fish has not eaten any fish....

Thinking if I should buy for my tank

My tank size is 6ft x 2.5ft x 2ft

1 arowana
1 Florida gar
3 Indo tigers
3 kkp / red devil

My concern if the lung fish would be peaceful enough

20181119_191134.jpg

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Other members have had mixed success with lungfish in communities, some have no issues meanwhile some have very nibbly fish. Best wait for some of those to chime in :)

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Yeah I did a search and it seems to be hit and miss

I take comfort in that the lung fish was in a smaller comm tank with smaller fishes at the LFS

Reactions: yama

Bubblesop

Feeder Fish
Dec 29, 2018
Mine had its fins nipped off...

Have not seen it eat since I bought it on nov 20
Mine's just adjusting to it's tank, I tried feeding with frozen fish but it won't take. Got nipped by my lungfish, hehe. I tried holding it and pointing it's mouth at the fish, but it's stubborn.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
IDK much about marbled. Mine have been hiding all time and grew rather poorly. I presume they were bullied / chased by tank mates when they did come out.

My two West Africans (last measure 30" and 39") have most usually been on the receiving end, so I had to pick tank mates carefully for them so they don't bother the lungs. Once in a while the lungs might retaliate IME but I doubt they ever started first. Very gentle fish IME. Except to each other of course.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
So far mine hide at the top of the tank among the pothos... it could be because my tank is bare bottom and there is a wave maker pushing poop

But I noticed the lung fish will defend its space when fishes come close...except for the spotted gar.

Caught my spotted gar, 1 end and the lungfish sleeping at bottom of tank once , next to each other..

Still have not seen him eat

Bubblesop

Feeder Fish
Dec 29, 2018
Pity, the lungfish is a pretty strong fella, but not a good swimmer like the rest of the pack in the tank. I held mine in a grip and the fish struggled and slipped through, could feel it's powerful. Noticed it started eating,.....pellets, hehehe. Yesterday. Gave more today, it's hungry after days of hunger strike.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store