marineland penguin filters

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
What is new about them? Actual changes? The 330/350 are good working filters and last a long time. Don’t want to compare with Aquaclear filters as I don’t want to bring back the old controversy). I like both and own several of both, good for different uses.

Reactions: tlindsey

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
M
What is new about them? Actual changes? The 330/350 are good working filters and last a long time. Don’t want to compare with Aquaclear filters as I don’t want to bring back the old controversy). I like both and own several of both, good for different uses.
My feelings exactly.I wasn't aware that the company has newer models out.

Reactions: tlindsey

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Are you referring to the new Penguin Pro line that has the motor submersible in tank. The original Penguin has external motor and has not changed in basic design for decades except for minor modification of the box and strainer.

With the submersible motor, the Pro line claims to be quieter, but not so according to this youtube review. The self priming claim may be true since the motor is submerged, but I have no personal experience to attest it.

I run a dozen original Penguin on 6 tanks, some 30 years old, still working. I think the older generation Penguin with simpler bix design work even better than newer ones with fancy cover. I run Penguin as mechanical filter and never care to install the biowheels. One nice option of Penguin is that you can buy refillable media cage without having to pay for expensive factory cartridges. The only maintenance I need to do every few years is to replace worn out impellers that start making noise.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Curious as to why you do not use the bio wheels on your filters?
I don’t use the bio wheel because additional bio filtration is redundant. In tank biofiltration is occurring everywhere in the substrate and any contact surfaces as long as good oxygenated circulation is provided. The biowheel will get clogged, stuck and slow down flow circulation that is better to do without. Bio wheel is Marineland gimmick to sell product that is unnecessary.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store