Market shrimp

Twistedf4i

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2006
Sunrise,Florida
Is this like shrimp from the supermarket or so? and how much does it cost? i was thinking about doing that, but isnt shrimp expsensive?

Sorry for the dumb question , just curious

dr_sudz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Wiarton, Ontario
www.fishinabox.ca
You can buy shrimp from your grocery store. You can get the shrimp rings that are pretty cheap for what they are, I am able to get a ring of 50 for 2.50. Or you can buy the stuff from the counter that is not cooked and not shelled, which is more nutritious for your fish. buying by the pound in bulk is usually cheaper.

fishmaven

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2006
Houston, Tx
www.fishmaven.net
There are the shrimp you normally get at the grocery store AND there are FW shrimp called prawns. Prawns are seldom available at a regular supermarket. You'd usually have to go to some sort of specialty store.

Some LFSs sell prawn eggs. They're really hihg in natural beta carotenes. Sometimes this is what has been fed when someone asks about a fish that's been "juiced." Juiced would usually be testosterone, sometimes making the subject sterile. Color from prawneggs would just fade, not making the fish sterile, and would return with the maturity of the fish OR feeding prawn eggs again. Discus are a good example. Ever see babies, silver dollar sized AND full color?

There are also numerous species of FW shrimp native to the US that are sold as feeder shrimp or "ghost shrimp." I think there about 4-5 species in Texas, alone.

The color comes from the area within the shell and the meat just beneath the shell, much like the peel from a potato.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Prawns at my local market are saltwater.

I buy my shrimp by the 2lb package frozen at any local grocery. I buy the size 61/70, which means approximately 122 should be in the package. I would not buy prepared or cooked shrimp, raw with shell has more nutrients. I pay $10 per bag, but sometimes they are on sale.

Dkarc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
fishmaven;518358; said:
There are the shrimp you normally get at the grocery store AND there are FW shrimp called prawns. Prawns are seldom available at a regular supermarket. You'd usually have to go to some sort of specialty store.

Some LFSs sell prawn eggs. They're really hihg in natural beta carotenes. Sometimes this is what has been fed when someone asks about a fish that's been "juiced." Juiced would usually be testosterone, sometimes making the subject sterile. Color from prawneggs would just fade, not making the fish sterile, and would return with the maturity of the fish OR feeding prawn eggs again. Discus are a good example. Ever see babies, silver dollar sized AND full color?

There are also numerous species of FW shrimp native to the US that are sold as feeder shrimp or "ghost shrimp." I think there about 4-5 species in Texas, alone.

The color comes from the area within the shell and the meat just beneath the shell, much like the peel from a potato.
Not necessarily true about the discus...it totally depends on the color type of the fish and where it came from if it has full color at a small size.

When I use shrimp, I use it raw since all of the nutrients are in it. When it is cooked, lots of vitamins and other nutrients are lost from the cooking process.

-Ryan
Orlando Discus

fishmaven

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2006
Houston, Tx
www.fishmaven.net
FW prawns are sold in Hawaii on street corners. About 2 to a pound. They're grown in multicrop ponds. Pigs on a platform water below, ducks on the water, fish and prawns below the surface. I guess you could call SW shrimp prawns too. Good restaurants sometimes sell both but they make a distinction between the two.

I don't think I mentioned cooked or frozen shrimp in my message. Even cooked it's superior to many foods available for use on tropical fish.

Re color on the small discus: Asian imports.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Therer are also 1 pound bags of mixed seafood sold a places like the grocery outlet for $2-$3 a bag. It is a good mix of shrimp, clams, mussels, and tiny octopus.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store