Masked Julie babies!

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
6077AF25-2A71-4D83-AE36-C95B0EF50C55.jpegSo today I’m calling my uncle because it’s my birthday and he was talking to me and I looked on the plant in the tank and saw a little baby masked Julie I was freaking out because it’s the first fish I’ve bred successfully. But.... I do need advice, I put some crushed flakes in and some were gone don’t know if they were sucked up or eaten. I’ve seen 4 but I have 3 separate, couldn’t get the last guy gonna try soon.

Reactions: tlindsey

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
BTW, the parents are incredibly protective of there area and probably protecting more because they won’t let my blue channel cat NEAR

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Personally I would let the parents raise their own fry. Don't worry if they don't get it right the first few times as new parents are almost never good parents but given enough time and practice they will become good parents. With the fry you have already seperated I would try to grow them out in their own tank. Use live baby brine shrimp or powdered fish flakes for food for the lil guys.

Reactions: deeda and tlindsey

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Personally I would let the parents raise their own fry. Don't worry if they don't get it right the first few times as new parents are almost never good parents but given enough time and practice they will become good parents. With the fry you have already seperated I would try to grow them out in their own tank. Use live baby brine shrimp or powdered fish flakes for food for the lil guys.
Yeah I put some crushed Cichlid flakes in and let them sink couldn’t tell if any of them ate. And I did see at least one more in with the parents so they can try to raise them on there own too. They have had batches before the place I bought them from said.

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
The tank mates with the julie parents is what concerns me, I have 3 fish that would love a baby Julie snack

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
The tank mates with the julie parents is what concerns me, I have 3 fish that would love a baby Julie snack
Well as long as the babies have enough hiding spaces and the parents atleast try to protect them you should have some make it to adulthood.

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Ok, I just saw another baby in the big tank so atleast I can see they’re surviving

Reactions: Magnus_Bane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store