Mata Mata turtle growth thread

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
I received my Mata Mata on June 12. The first pics show the little bugger just out of the box. the second pic is from today. I would say it has doubled in mass. His head is least twice as big.....Name is Morphius. Feeding frozen silversides and small feeders as he can catch them. I hope to end feeders eventually when his tankmates wise up to frozen. I tong feed him although he gets plenty of feeders ambush style. I will post more pics in a few months as he grows!!IMG_0996.JPG new turtle.jpg IMG_1138.JPG turtle now.jpg

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Wow, you weren't kidding when you said his head doubled in size.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
His neck is about a good 2 inches thick, impressive. I'd be scared to see him full grown :p.

Reactions: Chefken

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I want one someday,are they pretty active?

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
I want one someday,are they pretty active?
They dont swim much....ambush predator. I enjoy just watching him stretch his crazy neck to breath. I like having a tank full of fish for more visual appeal which you can easily do. They do get pretty big. 40lbs and a shell close to a manhole cover. Even at that size a 48"x48" enclosure is adequate.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
They dont swim much....ambush predator. I enjoy just watching him stretch his crazy neck to breath. I like having a tank full of fish for more visual appeal which you can easily do. They do get pretty big. 40lbs and a shell close to a manhole cover. Even at that size a 48"x48" enclosure is adequate.
I saw a pretty big one at a reptile show some years ago.It looked to be very close to manhole cover size.

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
I saw a pretty big one at a reptile show some years ago.It looked to be very close to manhole cover size.
An active turtle that size would need 1000 gallons easy. A custom 240 would house a Mata for life. I am hoping to get 6-10 years in my 120 adapting the tank as he grows with lower rock formation and less fish.

Brev

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2009
Hong Kong
My mata was tame as baby, but now he becomes somewhat defensive. When I try to pull him out for tank maintanence he tries to bite, swing his neck, use his shell to block my head. Now he is about 6 inch long by shell, and I have him for a year. Anyway, mata is an interesting turtle.

cwindless

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2016
Virginia

I have three my largest are fresh imports a 20" female and a 17" male. I also have a 12" male I raised from a hatchling that size, he grew to 12" in 5 years. I can tell you with confidence a 48"x48" will not cut it at all. They are measured by their straight shell length, their neck and head is just as long. They are sedentary during the day, they are busy at night. I'm not saying they are like a Red eared slider activity wise but they do move around a lot more than one might think. Mine are kept in a 8'x4'x2' pond because my 300g stock tank was too small

To give an accurate measure to compare, think about a 32 gallon brute trash can. The base of the trash can is about 20".

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store