Mata Mata Turtle

davelin315

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2017
Purchased a Mata Mata Turtle recently and was looking around for information them from experienced keepers. I have consulted with zoologists and others but was wondering what other practical experience people had with them. There seems to be a lot of controversy surrounding whether to keep them deep water or shallow water but mine does not move much as he has found his favorite spot and hangs out there most of the time, even orienting himself the same way. I also saw that there is a thread referencing different turtles but the attachment is no longer there (can't post any links yet as this is my first post but it's the MFKers guide to turtles and fish together).

My experience so far has been that the turtle eats everything that passes in front of its face but it swallows them. I saw some saying that you can expect fish to be injured when the turtle bites them but mine has not exhibited much of a bite as when it eats sometimes the fish are stuck halfway between being in and out of his mouth and they don't get damaged or snapped in half. In fact, even after he bites down on them a bit to get them all the way in they are still swimming around in his throat as he starts to swallow them as evidenced by the wiggling of his neck when he has eaten a few of them at once.

I have some video of it eating but not sure if the link will publish or embed since again, this is my first post. (Edit, would not let me post the video but you can view it on FB by searching for the Northern Virginia Aquarium)

I was contemplating putting some fish with it that it could a) eat that are native to where it lives but also b) that might subsist with it for at least a short period of time or until it grows too large. Some of the verious neon tetras might make an interesting addition to the tank (it's a 5' long tank and the feeders stay far away from him on the other side now that they've figured out he's dangerous to them) and potentially even breed as I allow the water level to evaporate a few inches before topping off which could trigger some breeding. I was also thinking that larger fish such silver dollars, discus (probably way too expensive), or perhaps even oscars might work although the oscars are a long shot since they would eat the live fish before the turtle could. Angels are also a possibility although I think they might be a bit meaner and pick on the turtle a bit (as well as eat the neon tetras).

Any thoughts on this? The tank is growing in in terms of vegetation (I use some parrots feather and java moss to provide cover on the top and also some loose vegetation to hide in as I'm not inclined to add many leaves (as well as some large pothos) and am going to add a few more species of fully aquatic plants to provide further coverage) so some herbivores might work out well. Flow is pretty slow as it's on a simple closed loop powered by a mag 5 running from one end to the other. The fish would not be the centerpiece of the tank but would be some nice flashes of color and hopefully encourage the turtle to hunt around a bit more and perhaps drive some of the feeders in his direction periodically. Not worried if he eats them as that's acceptable risk but definitely don't want to add fish that will pick on him, either.

Any suggestions or pointing me in the right direction on this forum would be much appreciated!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
This is a turtle that I would like to have someday.There used to be quite a few turtle keepers on mfk but unfortunately most of them have either moved on or just stopped posting.Hopefully someone knowledgeable will chime in and answer your questions.

Reactions: tlindsey

davelin315

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2017
It is a pretty awesome turtle but not many sources for captive bred. Mine was wild caught and imported and I bought it from a very reputable wholesaler. It seems to be doing just fine and I associate it not moving around much to being healthy whereas other turtles I would say that there was something wrong because it just sits around all day in the same spot.

I do have the space and tanks to move it into a much larger system in the future, by the way, which is one thing I would caution you on if you are going to get one. They grow quite large and despite not moving around much, they still need their space.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yes.I saw a manhole sized mata at a reptile show some years ago.

inert1a

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2017
Mata Mata turtles are terrible swimmers, i would not keep one in water deeper than 12-16 inches.

chanathon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2008
CA
I had a small matamata for a short period of time which i believe was wild caught as well. I kept him in a shallow riparium because it's not the best swimmer. Temporarily I did have him in a 24" deep tank but it would always hang out on a ledge near the top. It looked like it struggled when it walked along the bottom at that depth. Matamatas will eat anything that will fit in its mouth. They don't really chomp or chew, but rather suck in the fish whole. Mine would finish a group of 20+ tetra-sized feeders in a night. It would also take cut up market shrimp but only when I target fed it. On that note, if you were to realistically keep fish with it, they'd have to be a bit larger or else they'll become a night time snack. Again, temporarily, I did have him with clown loaches, arowanas, and fire eels at one point without problems, but with any turtle, you never really know.

Good luck with yours, these turtles are amazing especially when they get humongous!

cwindless

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2016
Virginia
My profile picture is mine. I started it from a 4" baby and it is now approximately 12" female. With good water quality and plenty of food they grow fairly fast. Mine has been in my care for just over 5years. When young it is best to pay close attention to water parameters... soft acidic water, as they get older you can back way off.

I am a believer that the average aquarium is shallow water. Mine is currently housed in a 31" deep 6' long 24" wide 220g tank full of water With lots of logs and branches to add layers. It has zero issues getting the water's surface. I slowly built it up to that depth though. They are not as cumbersome as most literature would leave you to believe. They can float when they want and show some pretty unique behaviors when allowed to swim. They are also a lot more active when given the chance to swim as well.

These guys pound food also people always say minnows are bad but my turtle is way past the point where little guppies platys or mollys are adequate to keep up with her needs. She would easily destroy a colony of more than 300 in less than a week. I go to bate shops and hunt craigs list for convicts I have a few aquariums set up for breeding convicts and tilapia an augment with bait shop minnows while I wait for the fry to be of an adequate size. My bill every month is still over $100 to feed, not to include maintain the aquariums and feed my breeders. It would be hard to try to grow a food source that would make it more than a few weeks in there with them. I attempted to grow convict cichlids in with mine, while also supplementing with a lot of feeder minows. Convicts are prolific breeders and very protective, they did a good job fending the mata mata off until the babies were around 3/4 inches to just over an inch then they would disappear over night. The mata mata didn't really show interest until that size. I had two pretty mature pairs. The males were over 5 inches. They were all together in a 125 at the time. They had two territories within the tank. They would get two or three spawns off, then my females would disappear. The mata mata would eat the females. So I attempted to spawn convicts and tilapia in separate tanks. I have yet to be able to keep up with my turtle's appetite. I currently house mine with Angels, and Discus and SDs as they tend to go for more slim bodied fish like cichlids. Deeper bodied fish tend do well. So you are able to do so. Mine has eaten two SDs that were around 2" in diameter, but that is as big as her mouth will open at 12" so if you have a smaller one you should be fine. Water parameters and quality for discus is about the same for these guys so they have been fine together. The problem you will likely run into though is having to introduce feeder fish into the tank until you are able to get it on frozen. You always run the risk of introducing outside fish into the system. I have had a few angels die from outside disease. I try to quarantine before feeding but some disease still manages to get into the system.

As far as plants stick to floating plants, it is cool to watch they will actively hide in the root system if the water is deep enough and try to hunt fish from there. Mine initially attacks the fish form the bottom of the aquarium and will herd them. Until the fish get smart and start to hand out at the top, then she will float among the roots of the plants in a head downward direction and attack them from the top. She hangs off the wood in the tank at various places and in various angles to try to cover as much of the mid level and top of the tank as possible also. In smaller tanks and more shallow water you won't see this behavior from them.

Mine just accepted frozen food for the first time ever last week. Normally she would just spit it out. I am attempting to switch to frozen again in 5 years I have not been able to get her to do it yet. Good water quality and decent filtration will keep the turtle happy. You know the turtle is happy because when it is stressed out it will peel skin like a snake or lizard. This is a bad sign. Or it will develop shell rot pretty quickly. I try to keep the pH in my tank as low as possible by adding peat moss and Indian almond leaves to my system. However for a long term captive turtle I have also found they adapt pretty well to neutral pH. There is a book out it is a little paper back you can find on amazon that is a good read.

As far as breeding is concerned. It has been explained to me you just need a mature male and female with adequate water and in good health they will breed the hard part is getting the eggs to hatch.

https://chelusfimbriata.wordpress.com/veroeffentlichungen/

use google translator with this link, by far the best compiled information on them as a whole. Really good information on breeding and incubating, I haven't found any better information on the net or otherwise.

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions about what I do to care for mine I would be glad to answer them!

Last edited:
Reactions: Chefken

cwindless

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2016
Virginia
20170815_195348.jpg 20170826_184804.jpg 20170815_195405.jpg 15063778943882132181727.jpg20160629_184826.jpgthese two images are the same turtle top was one year ago, bottom is from one month ago. 20170826_184822.jpg here is my setup. My apologies for the glare. Notice the different layers. That is a 5g bucket lid she is laying on and my hand from wrist to finger tips is approximately 9" long. August of 2016 she was only as long as my hand.

Reactions: Chefken
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store