Mata mata water depth? Too deep?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Very nice,thank you for sharing your photos.I have wondered why mata matas don't enjoy the same amount of popularity as the Fly River turtles.

cwindless

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2016
Virginia
Very nice,thank you for sharing your photos.I have wondered why mata matas don't enjoy the same amount of popularity as the Fly River turtles.
My opinion is the lack of information and the perceived difficulty of care/high mortality rate. When researching them and then looking for suitable fish (to please my wife). Discus come from similar areas and require same water conditions. Extremely soft acidic black water. If I notice the water parameters spike I can always up my water changes which will benefit both. Most people think they are ugly. I find them fascinating and really cool species to keep. You just have to pick your tank mates wisely, other turtle species seem to stress them out. I didn't want something that could potentially out compete them for food or become food. Also didn't want a species that would pick on them.

I have musk turtles, a RES I rescued and snake necked turtles (chelodina oblonga/macrochelodina rugosa) as well.
I wouldn't recommend mixing them. Different water parameters and the activity levels are different.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
My opinion is the lack of information and the perceived difficulty of care/high mortality rate. When researching them and then looking for suitable fish (to please my wife). Discus come from similar areas and require same water conditions. Extremely soft acidic black water. If I notice the water parameters spike I can always up my water changes which will benefit both. Most people think they are ugly. I find them fascinating and really cool species to keep. You just have to pick your tank mates wisely, other turtle species seem to stress them out. I didn't want something that could potentially out compete them for food or become food. Also didn't want a species that would pick on them.

I have musk turtles, a RES I rescued and snake necked turtles (chelodina oblonga/macrochelodina rugosa) as well.
I wouldn't recommend mixing them. Different water parameters and the activity levels are different.
That could be.I have wanted a mata for quite some time and will try one sooner or later.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store