Maternity/Fry Tank

number17Fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2006
Rhode Island
Well my Red Zebra starting eating again after a week of holding behavior, but low and behold my Rusty is starting to carry some eggs. So even though they are definetly hybrids - in fact their dad is a Hybrid I think, I decided to isolate her and see if I can raise the fry. Since I will probably lose a bunch my 1st time I figured I'd try with this batch.

So I set up an old 10 gal tank I found at the junk yard and strapped on a bunch of old stuff I had up in the attic. I took a cycled filter sponge from my 55 and bored a hole in it. Then I stuck it on the filter suction for Tetra 20 hang on filter. I also put some charcoal from the 55 in the filter insert so that I would have some good bio-filtration right off the bat. I'm hoping the sponge also prevents any fry from being sucked into the filter.

I have 2 rock piles. 1 for Mom and 1 for the fry. The fry rocks are too small for mom to move around in, but too heavy for her to move.

I read online about wrapping the heater with air tubing. Anyone do that? or is that paranoid? Let me know what you think.

IMG_5094.JPG

IMG_5093.JPG

merc123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2007
North GA
I'd do a barebottom tank, strip the mom of the fry and let her rest for a day then put her back in the main tank.

The barebottom is easier for the fry to see the food and eat it. You can put something like a fake plant or a rock or two so they can hid but you don't want so much that the fry will have problem seeing the food.

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
Simple is definatly better... I'd scrap the rock idea and just move the fry into the prepaired 10g. On fry tanks I like to stick with an air driven foam filter and nothing else.

fish head )'>

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
S.E. Michigan
I see the benefits of a bare tank , but who wants to look at a bare tank? even if it is a fry tank.
I like the rocks, but lose the grid. seems like only a problem without using substraight.
Some people like to keep momma separated to get her strength back after fasting. I pull the wigglers pretty early so the female does not go for 3-4 weeks without eating. Lots of different philosophies on that topic.
I say use what you got, when it comes to filtering.
Now, about the fact that they are bastard hybrids......

number17Fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2006
Rhode Island
Thanks for the info/tips. When the fry start to hatch (next week by my calculations), I think I will put in a tank divider and split mom from the fry by stripping her. I will pull the egg crate and leave a couple of rocks on the mom side to make mom feel at ease. But go bare, except for a plastic plant on the fry side.

Sadly, if any survive the stipping and first few weeks without the yoke sac, I plan to toss them into the main tank to become food.

Once I fatten up mom, I plan to see if I can give her back to my LFS. I started with 4 Rustys a long time ago and now she is the only one left. I hear they are prolific breeders, so I better get her out or else she'll make hybrids every few months.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store