max flow of 1/4" poly tubing under pressure?

Reedmaster16

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2005
Ohio
Does anyone know the maximum estimated flow rate of 1/4" polyethylene rigid tubing?

Under pressure at around 50psi.

I am asking because I want to determine if its feasible to do a water change (~100gallons) and let the tank refill with fresh water run through a carbon filter via 1/4" poly tubing. In essence a fast fill drip system. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Reed

Reedmaster16

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2005
Ohio
Maybe I can rephrase and someone knows.

What is the max GPH that a 1/4" tubing drip type system (sediment to carbon to carbon) can put out at a pressure range of 50-100psi?

Reedmaster16

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2005
Ohio
The tubing is rated at a max pressure of around 200 psi. Its the more rigid polyethylene tubing.

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
I couldn't find an online flow calculator that goes down that small.

Is 1/4" ID or OD? How long will the run be, as length also plays into the flow rate because of frictional loss. I am thinking your best bet would be to hook up a piece of tubing and measure the flow with a stopwatch and a bucket.

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
i did some calculating... not 100% sure with what i figured, :) lol

i think you can run 6 GPM / 360 GPH thru it pretty easily.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
i did some calculating... not 100% sure with what i figured, :) lol

i think you can run 6 GPM / 360 GPH thru it pretty easily.
That figure seems awfully high. I doubt you could push 360 gallons per hour through 1/4 inch tubing. That's one gallon every 10 seconds.

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
Still not sure if you are talking ID or OD, but I have 1/4" OD line (the kind used for connecting ice-makers) that goes to a float valves on my tanks.

I disconnected one and measured the flow and got one gallon in just about a minute, give or take a few seconds. Pressure was 55 psi and it was flowing through about 8' of the 1/4" tubing.

Reedmaster16

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2005
Ohio
Still not sure if you are talking ID or OD, but I have 1/4" OD line (the kind used for connecting ice-makers) that goes to a float valves on my tanks.

I disconnected one and measured the flow and got one gallon in just about a minute, give or take a few seconds. Pressure was 55 psi and it was flowing through about 8' of the 1/4" tubing.
Sorry Dan I was working late last night and didn't make it back on the forums until today. The 1/4" OD icemaker type line is exactly what I am talking about! There will be a 5ft run of line at most. Thanks so much for testing that out it helps alot. I am going to test at higher psi when I get some free time later this week and I can post the results if anyone is interested.

On my one drip system the reason I regulate pressure below 50psi is to make sure the drip emitters will not be blown off the end of the line from pressure. With this new system I am testing it is simply to refill the tank after around 100gal of water has been removed. I may try and automate it with a float valve that will open the line when the water level drop below a certain point. Still planning everything out. Even at around 60gph that should be more than sufficient to refill the tank in under 2 hours which is what I was shooting for to allow mixing to stabilize water temp and not overwork the heaters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store