Mbu Puffer not eating

AaronKWolfe

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
It’s interesting. Some are easy to breed too, like dwarves and schoutodini, and yet they are persisted to be wild caught...and expensive for the latter.
Then the opposite side of the spectrum is amazons, where their biology makes it near impossible to breed in aquariums.
I'm by no means a biology or ichthyology expert, I am not overly familiar with breeding fish. I have just heard that most puffer fish are not captive bred and that the few who are usually are accidents.

Reactions: Deadeye

Odo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2008
Northern Virginia
Do you know what it was they fed it where you got it from? You can try earth worms to get it to eat. Did it eat the crayfish?

My fahaka is captive bred. There are others captive bred too. But you're kinda right most are wild caught.
yes, it was supposedly fed clams on the 1/2 shell but I haven’t had any luck with them so far:wall: the only thing he seems to keep down mostly is market shrimp but they do nothing for the beak.. I’ll try the earthworms - Thank you.

he took one bite of the whole crawfish and that was it.. but that may have been b/c it came from the store already cooked

Reactions: Deadeye

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Just give it time. If it’s eating some market shrimp that’s a good start. You can also freeze raw market shrimp and that should give it a nice crunch for the beak.

If it’s not eating at all, try live crabs or shrimp. Get the female fiddler crabs that don’t have the big claw to lessen the chance of injury to the puffer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store