MBU puffer set-up

h0ckeyfreek20

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2012
NJ
Hey everyone! Need some advice on an MBU puffer set-up!

Background: short and sweet, I housed a 14"+ fahaka in a 120g tank that passed away. He was awesome and I'd get another, but I want to get rid of a few tanks and cut down on my maintenance. Plus an MBU has always been my dream puffer.

I have an 8' x 3' x 2.5' acrylic tank (Black bottom) that Is currently housing aros, knife, catfish, severums, oscars and flag tails. I would like for this to be my only tank, but wondering about compatibility with the MBU.

I am selling most of the current stock. but These are The fish I would like to try to keep with the MBU.
-18" Albino clown knife
-18" Irwini catfish
-16" Irwini catfish
-Flagtails
-Tinfoil barbs
-if necessary, I can add a school of "expendable" fish to help deter any aggression the puffer may have.

I have tons of driftwood and live / fake plants to set the tank up any way you guys recommend. My only preference is to keep it a bare-bottom tank for the sake of maintenance.

Thanks in advance everyone!!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Fat Homer Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Fat Homer Fat Homer
I normally try and avoid MBU housing questions as its rarely an answer people want to hear...

The fish itself will easily reach around 28"+ as an adult if kept happy and heathy, so i would personally say probably something in the 10x4 range with decor and honestlysome type of substrate, even though some may disgaree...

But anyway, that is just my opinion on the subject, as i know there are people who keep them in 300 - 500G tanks...

Reactions: kno4te

h0ckeyfreek20

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2012
NJ
I normally try and avoid MBU housing questions as its rarely an answer people want to hear...

The fish itself will easily reach around 28"+ as an adult if kept happy and heathy, so i would personally say probably something in the 10x4 range with decor and honestlysome type of substrate, even though some may disgaree...

But anyway, that is just my opinion on the subject, as i know there are people who keep them in 300 - 500G tanks...
haha Id rather hear the ugly truth than witness it one morning. I know fahakas are very aggressive. My old fahaka was in a tank by himself with just plecos. Never bothered them luckily.

You are probably right a 10x4 is necessary. But I think my 8x3 will be adequate for a long time, if not for life maybe? It is almost 450g so It would at least give me enough time to find him a permanent home.

I'd like to have no substrate if possible. The tank has a black bottom so he won't see his reflection.

What do you think about tank mates? The irwinis are armored catfish that always hide anyway. The flag tails are fast but I could see a potential problem with them. and The albino knife never sleeps, swims all day and night. Agile and can swim backwards. Any 'expendable' fish I can add to deter aggression? what do ya think?

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I've never personally owned an MBU, but i've often read they may test bite tank mates to see if they are edible, but normally once they realize they arent food they ignore them...

Again, this is from lots of past reading, so maybe someone whos kept one can better answer that question...

h0ckeyfreek20

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2012
NJ
I've never personally owned an MBU, but i've often read they may test bite tank mates to see if they are edible, but normally once they realize they arent food they ignore them...

Again, this is from lots of past reading, so maybe someone whos kept one can better answer that question...
I still appreciate the advice!! Ive managed to keep flowerhorns, pike, peacock bass, and other aggressive fish in community tanks. I've had the best luck raising everything together. Maybe I can introduce the MBU when he is just big enough to hold his own against tank mates, but small enough to where a 'test bite' wouldn't be life threatening.

Thank you Homer!!

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
You're welcome...

but as a word of advise if you really do get a puffer, (although you probably know this already) is they can turn on tankmates at any random moment sometimes years after being somewhat peaceful...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store