MBU won’t eat

justink

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2007
MFK'less
Had this guy for like 3 weeks now won’t eat a thing. Already prazid the tank and no results

what do you recommend

EBC9AA2A-D836-4D84-8E5F-CB59178B1F2B.jpeg

AaronKWolfe

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
My experience with puffers is very limited, but I know with a lot of predatory fish (mainly wild caught ones, which I know yours is not), live feeding is the only way to get them to start eating. I doubt this is the case with you, but I suppose that's a possibility, what have you tried feeding him?

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Deadeye Deadeye is good with puffers.
Good is a strong word. I’d say “lucky at the moment” lol.
Fat Homer Fat Homer is definitely the go to puffer guy, but I’ll give it my best shot.
What are tankmates (if any)?
What size tank?
Decor in tank?
Most importantly: what have you tried feeding it?

A large fish can go a while without eating. Most large predators are slow to eat after introduction, puffers being extra nervous. Garlic soaked food usually does the trick. These large puffers will eat anything.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
My experience with puffers is very limited, but I know with a lot of predatory fish (mainly wild caught ones, which I know yours is not), live feeding is the only way to get them to start eating. I doubt this is the case with you, but I suppose that's a possibility, what have you tried feeding him?
Good point. Many puffers will only take live food and it takes a long time to train them to eat frozen.
Depending on what it’s previous owner fed it, it may not recognize what you feed as food.

Reactions: AaronKWolfe

justink

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2007
MFK'less
Good is a strong word. I’d say “lucky at the moment” lol.
Fat Homer Fat Homer is definitely the go to puffer guy, but I’ll give it my best shot.
What are tankmates (if any)?
What size tank?
Decor in tank?
Most importantly: what have you tried feeding it?

A large fish can go a while without eating. Most large predators are slow to eat after introduction, puffers being extra nervous. Garlic soaked food usually does the trick. These large puffers will eat anything.
Puffer is about 5-6 inches only tankmates are a few orange parrot fish. I’ve tried feeding shrimp and pellets so far. Last night was the first night trying food soaked in garlic with no luck. Was considering trying some live night crawlers. Would prefer to stay away from feeders as most are very contaminated

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Parrots probably aren’t much of a stress.
Forget about trying to directly feed it pellets, that is a lost cause for most puffers. To get pellets to it you will have to stuff them inside of shrimp or other foods.
Look into bloodworms (not as a staple), black worms, mysis shrimp, and brine shrimp as options at this size. And of course snails. As he grows clams, crabs, and crayfish make good foods. Shrimps and crayfish can be bred to avoid disease.

Reactions: AaronKWolfe
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store