Mbuna ID Please

Scotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2005
George, South Africa
What makes you belive those nuts who think it could be a hybrid!!!!!:confused: :screwy: I cannot see how some one can say there is Lombardoi or whatever in there!!!!:confused: :cry:
:naughty: :ROFL: :headbang2 :nilly:

African_Fever

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2007
Canada
I'd guess it's a hybrid as well. If you want pure cichlids, don't go picking fish out of the 'various mbuna' tanks, b/c that's what they all are is mixes of various mbuna. It doesn't have the right barring to be a Ps. 'elongatus chailosi', or the right coloring to be much of anything else.

Scotty - Where did you get your infinite knowledge of ID'ing cichlids, always flaming everyone else's guesses as to what the ID's are? I've actually been to the lake, and can't say as I ever saw anything that looks like the fish everyone is trying to ID.

Lutt

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2007
Sweden
Scotty;922935; said:
What makes you belive those nuts who think it could be a hybrid!!!!!:confused: :screwy: I cannot see how some one can say there is Lombardoi or whatever in there!!!!:confused: :cry:
what i can say, its not a elongotus. Maybe its just me but its look like an hybrid between metriaclima and cynotilapia....what do you see?

im not so good at malawi. im only have these species in 3-4 years but they dont looks like elongatus

Lutt

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2007
Sweden
why_spyder;923131; said:
I know most of my Cynotilapia pretty well. I've seen a good number of hybrids on forums. And I've read through two of Ad Koning's books (1st and 3rd Editions) and haven't ran across any of those fish.
sure you do but that fish are not an elongatus im pretty sure they have a longer body.

my favorite is an cynotilapia white top....

straitjacketstar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
www.instagram.com
Scotty;922935; said:
Ahem...

number17Fan;918959; said:
They looked identical as juveniles, but over time 1 started to turn yellow and the other is still dark blue.
Now, being that M. lombardoi is unique for being a species that starts blue and males turn yellow instead of the usual yellow female and juvenile coloration and males transitioning to blue (this has been noted by Ad Konings himself, but I'm sure you knew that already) I would assume that this fish, which is obviously does not resemble a P. elongatus in shape or form or any of the immediately recognizable species or variants of Cynotilapia, Metriaclima or Pseudotropheus, has some M. lombardoi somewhere in it's parentage and more than likely is immediate offspring of a M. lombardoi x Pseudo., Metriaclima, Cyno., Lab., whatever cross.
In fact, my first impression was that of possibly Pseudotropheus sp. "Dumpy", but the number of bars is incorrect as is the head and facial structure of the fish.
This fish's mouth is remotely Labidochromine but that could be a fluke, resulting of whatever the parentage.
A hybrid certainly doesn't have to look exactly like either parent. I have had M. greshakei x Lab. caeruleus hybrids that could pass for P. socolofi. They would have too, if I'd chosen to distribute them.
I certainly am not one to attempt to identify a fish of unknown or questionable lineage and settle for an ID that merely resembled the fish in question.
I've noted that you are in the habit of it, however. Sometimes I wonder if it's not just your ego. Feel good knowing you've got your books and articles and can spell out the random scientific names. That sort of thing. :shakehead

mike dunagan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pendleton, IN
www.freewebs.com
am I wrong or don't Kenyi go from blue juvies to yellow adult males. Much more common fish in the trade...ps that has nothing to do with the other parts of your comment. Just remember that Kenyi do it as well.

straitjacketstar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
www.instagram.com
mike dunagan;924673; said:
am I wrong or don't Kenyi go from blue juvies to yellow adult males. Much more common fish in the trade...ps that has nothing to do with the other parts of your comment. Just remember that Kenyi do it as well.
why_spyder;924754; said:
Doesn't Kenyi = M. lombardoi ?
:grinyes:

mike dunagan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pendleton, IN
www.freewebs.com
That is the trouble with the names, the common names and scientific names are nothing a like and worse when they have three or more scientific names to go with it... I was talking to someone the other day about H. electra I have and I tried to find one to show him and I could not find it. I had to look up Cop, and finally Plac. to find it...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store