mbuna tank

honkbobo

Feeder Fish
Nov 21, 2014
gilbert az
hello everybody i have a 75 gallon freshwater tank and i need advice on filters i had 2 hob's 400 midlands and I'm thinking about switching to a canister filter can anybody point me in the right direction. sorry about the spelling. and i was looking to do a Mbuna tank thanks

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
You should put this in the African cichlids section not the central and South American as mbuna are African rift lake cichlids

wrslrcichlid

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Battle Creek, MI
Well to answer your question, there are a lot of canister filters that have good track records. The real question is what you are looking to spend and how heavily you stock your tank. A lot of people like to "overstock" an mbuna tank to help keep aggression down or at least spread it around a bit more. If you "overstock" you will need bigger filtration, whereas if you stock lightly you won't need as much.

To give my own personal advice - go big or go home. For a quality filter at a good price I would suggest maybe an API filstar XP-L, or maybe two XP-M's. Anything that will give you 4-6x flow rate (the amount of water flowing through the filter per hour) that has good reviews should suffice.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Well to answer your question, there are a lot of canister filters that have good track records. The real question is what you are looking to spend and how heavily you stock your tank. A lot of people like to "overstock" an mbuna tank to help keep aggression down or at least spread it around a bit more. If you "overstock" you will need bigger filtration, whereas if you stock lightly you won't need as much.
+1 Filters are like a lot of other products, cars, beer, whatever. Everyone has what they like, personally I have Eheim classics, but you can find a lot of filter X vs filter Y debates. The truth is there's more than one option to get the job done and it comes down to what you want to spend, bells and whistles you either want or don't care about, brand preference, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store