mbuna?

tothna

Candiru
MFK Member
May 18, 2005
Ohio
Is Mbuna the name for your standard african like yellow labs and all those that look the same but different colors? I never know what to call them

catfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2004
michigan
tothna said:
Is Mbuna the name for your standard african like yellow labs and all those that look the same but different colors? I never know what to call them
yellow labs are mbuna, it all depends what lake they are from

Scotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2005
George, South Africa
As said, the mbuna are the rock dwelling fish of Lake Malawi and their main diet is the algae growth that forms on the rocks. The males have great colouring with your Labidochromis caeruleus being one of them. They tend to be endemic to very small ares of rock and it has happened where divers have removed fish from an area and released them into another area. When buying these you need to make sure you gey some females with males otherwise the males could breed with other similar females resulting in a mixed breed of fish.
:naughty: :woot: :clap :headbang2 :thumbsup:

tothna

Candiru
MFK Member
May 18, 2005
Ohio
Yeah I got some Demasoni/rusty cichlid(dont know real name) hybrids. They're still pretty small but they are pretty cool looking.

Scotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2005
George, South Africa
tothna said:
Yeah I got some Demasoni/rusty cichlid(dont know real name) hybrids. They're still pretty small but they are pretty cool looking.
It is a great pity you have a hybrid :cry: :swear: :p :shocked: Demasoni/rusty as both these fish should be kept seperate as they are both great fish to keep. Demasoni are basically extinct in the Lake and therefore cross-breeding should be avoided by those who have them. Correct name for the rusty is Iodotropheus sprengerae.
:naughty: :woot: :clap :headbang2 :thumbsup:

tothna

Candiru
MFK Member
May 18, 2005
Ohio
I don't plan on ever giving them away or going to Africa to put them back in the lake or anything, so as long as they don't figure out how to use Orbitz.com to buy plane tickets I think we'll be OK

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store